Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,464   Online: 1121

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's fair to say that most people here on APUG get frustrated by comparisons of their own work to Digital work, and also the attitudes of some Digital users towards film users.

Those of us that do exhibit need to do so in a way that promotes the virtues and benefits of film based photography and keeps it alive in the minds of the public. There is a growing trend for people who have only used digital to begin trying film photography and that needs encouraging.

Bill in particular has to be applauded for the way he's taking his Wet plate work to the public at Craft fairs, I'm sure that approach will tempt some to try analog photography.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzMQcE2E-1o&feature=fvw

I agree with Ralph Gibson, I've seen it for what it is, digital, and further I'm no longer waiting for a masterpiece to come out of my iPhone, that I actually thought any would.

I personally would not want to show my work with other forms of images, there is a reason why I use film, make prints by hand in a darkroom from that film which was exposed in a film camera and that's why I'm here in an analog photography users group.

I really don't care what anyone thinks, I'd rather show my prints to myself than put them up in a dog and pony show at some country fair, if the work is important to me it's important enough to be shown how and when I want. It's a personal decision I've made. Each person makes their own choices, I support those who believe the work should stand on it's own.

Curt
    Last edited by Curt; 10-13-2010 at 04:29 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: I wasn't finished yet, that's the problem with digital machines.....
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I am in a group show, I like to be in it with other artists who are exploring similar concepts with their work. The work does not need to look similar. It does not need to be made the same way. It does not need to be of the same quality of technique and craftsmanship. What I do not want to be a part of is some seemingly-random collection of work that shares some meaningless feature such as the work all being in the same medium, or all being made by artists from similar locations or institutions. These types of shows are the most meaningless, IMO. I want to go into a show that is curated such that all the work is related in a conceptual way, or at the very least shares subject matter. The curation of a show that I call a good one should lead the visitors to an exploration of a certain element of something in particular, not just to random visual delights.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 10-13-2010 at 04:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by per volquartz View Post
    I did not have the desire to be arrogant, but... I was extremely frustrated...

Therefore my decision.
    Well that's totally understandable. I think it is important to remember that amidst all the BS there are people working with sincerity using digital materials and they should not be painted with the same broad brush. Nor should we curmudgeons, holding onto these ancient analog techniques.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    SNIP

Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Let's stretch the example a bit further. How many people here would want their own masterpieces in in a "Dollar Store"?
    i would love to have my work selling at the dollar store.
    but unfortunately, i have not been able to break into that market.

it isn't as easy as it seems ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i would love to have my work selling at the dollar store.
    Me too. Why not.

Some of this discussion seems a bit silly to me. A bit like me refusing to do a gig in a band where the other guitarist uses a Fender guitar just because I use a Gretsch.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    No, your analogy would better apply to someone who refused to exhibit alongside those that used different films or papers, rather than those who decline to exhibit alongside completely different media for an audience who will likely be confused into failing to appreciate his art for what it is.

I would compare to a sculptor with a few hand-made pieces declining to exhibit his work at an injection-molding tradeshow.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    No, your analogy would better apply to someone who refused to exhibit alongside those that used different films or papers, rather than those who decline to exhibit alongside completely different media for an audience who will likely be confused into failing to appreciate his art for what it is.
    I think my analogy is quite close. To the general public, a photograph is a photograph. They don't really care if it was created optically, chemically or by jets of ink.

I think this is a very similar analogy to using a solid body or a hollow body guitar. To most people they are just guitars.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I think my analogy is quite close. To the general public, a photograph is a photograph. They don't really care if it was created optically, chemically or by jets of ink.
    Exactly. The public largely doesn't care, and for the most part they shouldn't. It's about the content, not the process.

If analog photography can't compete on content, then it is doomed a quick death.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    35mm
    To the general public, a photograph is a photograph. They don't really care if it was created optically, chemically or by jets of ink.
    Oh, and this holds for sculpture too. As proved by millions of suburban women buying commodity, mass-produced decor (usually carefully 'broken' so as to give the kitschy appearance of something handmade). This doesn't mean that there's no market for genuine articles. Handmade baskets, for example, still command a very hefty premium over machine-made baskets, and the market preserves and values the distinction. That kind of distinction needs to be cultivated in framed art, which is why I feel that efforts to distinguish handmade photographs from other print media are generally a positive thing, even when they are done for reasons I disagree with.

If analog photography can't compete on content, then it is doomed a quick death.
    It may indeed be doomed to a quick death. That I won't argue. However, I flatter myself that there are some people in the world that care as much about substance as "content" (which I find a decidedly Web2.0 feeling, digitainerization-inspired term).
    Last edited by BetterSense; 10-13-2010 at 11:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    f/22 and be there.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin