Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,488   Online: 773

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    All the good themes allow standard pages that aren't part of a blog. No reason for your site to look like a blog if you use wordpress.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ^What Ike said!^
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    So ROL, what did you use for the gallery portion of the site? I think my beef with using blog software for this kind of thing is that it ends up looking like a blog, i.e. posts by date and category. Most of the examples I've seen, including the ones at the prophotoblogs site, follow in this vein. Which is great if you want a photoblog kind of thing...
    I did not want my site to look like a blog. My landing page (with portfolio) is not the blog itself... Just set up pages and feature the galleries in those.

Ciaran

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Beaten to it... What Ike and Kerik said :-)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ahh so you guys use the Pages feature. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm about to order a them from elegantthemes.com He has a couple that are photography based.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik View Post
    Thanks to Clay and Ike, I'm a Wordpress user as well. I revamped my site earlier this year (thanks, Ike!), but it's still not complete. I've had other priorities come up in the mean time...
    Kerik,

Did you use the 'Thesis' package as promoted by Clay Harmon?

Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Howdy,
    I am the author of the Portfolio theme linked to earlier in this thread. As you can see, a WordPress site does not have to look like a blog!

I also released the slideshow functionality that powers that theme as a free plugin, which you can find elsewhere on the site. I've seen some great uses of this code, such as here: http://www.tracybishop.com/. Tracy used a theme called Headway, along with my plugin, to make a pretty amazing portfolio.

I have set up a few dozen photographers on WP now, and so far everyone has loved it. Best of luck!

Dalton

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Kudos to you for making your plugin free. Very nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Basically, my work flow in using Lightroom is to simply import a scan into the program. Lightroom allows you to organize your photos - put them in collections and so forth. Once you are ready to create a web gallery, you just select the photos you want to export to a gallery and then click on the Web Gallery Tab. You are presented with a whole array of possible gallery styles to export - from simple html galleries to oooh-wow Flash galleries. I wanted my site to run on phones and ipads and so forth, so I elected to just use the simple HTML gallery. I exported the gallery and spent an hour one afternoon hacking on the styles.css file for the gallery to get it to mesh well with my site in terms of fonts, colors and so forth. I made a copy of this modified CSS file that I now just drop in place of the one that Lightroom creates for all my galleries.

Once the gallery has been exported, I just upload the whole gallery to my site in a dedicated gallery folder that I will then link to from my wordpress page. This post describes how I then use a standard Wordpress iframe plugin to embed the gallery into the page.

My whole theory was that I wanted to create a site that made adding content a costless exercise. I am pretty much there, in my opinion. All I have to do is upload photos or scans to Lightroom and then export the gallery. Paste my custom CSS file into the gallery, and then upload it. Make a new page and point a menu link to it. It takes less than 30 minutes including the ftp transfer time.

BTW, if you don't want to buy a copy of Lightroom just do to do this, Adobe Bridge that is included with Photoshop has the exact same web gallery export features. The procedure would be identical.

Dalton, your theme and plugin are pretty nice. I like the clean, uncluttered functional look of the theme. I may try your plugin as an alternative to my CSS-hacked Lightroom HTML gallery. Thanks for making it available to all of us.
    Last edited by clay; 10-21-2010 at 09:27 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add some information
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin