Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,057   Online: 774

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Backups: only kinda sorta. I rsync the whole website about once a week back to my laptop, which is backed up daily at work and twice a week at home. That covers most of the content - uploaded pictures, etc.

As far as the MYSQL database, I do a dump of that twice a week. You could also rsync that, or save it in your html directory and download it, etc. Personally, I have dropbox installed on the server, so I copy the dump to that, which syncs it to my laptop and a friends computer. I use mysqldump since I wanted to automate it. Instructions for Wordpress are here.

I know it sounds paranoid, but somewhere around 2003, the host we were using lost the main drive and all three current backups. They had an offsite copy or something, but it was like 2 months out of date, and it was going to take them quite a bit of time to restore from it. Fortunately, I had a 2 week old backup at the time and was able to restore from that. I'm more careful than that now

Enjoy Wordpress. It really is great software. I remember tentatively going with it many years ago and hoping it would continue to get developed. Looks like I somehow chose right, since it's definitely a leader now. And thanks again Dalton for you great plugin!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can phpMyAdmin be used to create the MySQL database in the first place?

Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What has not be mentioned yet either, is that if used properly, a blogging platform for your website should improve your search engine visibility massively. With very little SEO knowledge, I've installed the 'all in one SEO' plugin and improved my ranking almost overnight.
    There are also plugins that will back up your site automatically, e-mailing the site contents to you as often as you like.

Ciaran

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tim, I am using the phpAdmin backup scenario right now and making a compressed copy of the database once a week and sending it to my gmail account (Thanks Ike!). But I guess that mainly catches the database itself. How did you set up rsync to copy your entire site? Are you just SSH'ing into the site and syncing the whole /html directory structure? Is something else necessary to capture the database component?
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Instead of going the full manual route. I found an free application (for the basic version) called MAMP which auto-installs the components and works straight off.

http://www.mamp.info/en/index.html

Tom

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    UNIX geeky stuff to follow: I use a shell script that runs twice a week via cron to run mysqldump and copy/email/rsync/whatever you want. To rsync the rest of the site, the non-database content, I run rsync from the command line. That is not automated yet, but again, it could easily be automated by adding the appropriate line in as a cronjob.

As long as both your source and target computers have rsync installed, and the remote computer has ssh open, you should be able to rsync data with no problems. I believe OS X, at least since 10.5, has rsync built in. Most hosting services also give you ssh and rsync access, so you should be fine. If you want to catch the database component at the same time, you'd need to make sure to dump your database to a file in an appropriate location (a backups subdirectory maybe?) and then rsync the whole website.

There are of course other options than rsync. I like it because it can be automated easily. Many FTP/SFTP programs have 'sync' features that let you sync up a local copy of a remote directory.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks! That is about what I thought. I use OSX, so I have SSH and rsync at both ends. Now just need to pull out my OReilly sysadmin manuals and brush up on cronjob scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    UNIX geeky stuff to follow: I use a shell script that runs twice a week via cron to run mysqldump and copy/email/rsync/whatever you want. To rsync the rest of the site, the non-database content, I run rsync from the command line. That is not automated yet, but again, it could easily be automated by adding the appropriate line in as a cronjob.

As long as both your source and target computers have rsync installed, and the remote computer has ssh open, you should be able to rsync data with no problems. I believe OS X, at least since 10.5, has rsync built in. Most hosting services also give you ssh and rsync access, so you should be fine. If you want to catch the database component at the same time, you'd need to make sure to dump your database to a file in an appropriate location (a backups subdirectory maybe?) and then rsync the whole website.

There are of course other options than rsync. I like it because it can be automated easily. Many FTP/SFTP programs have 'sync' features that let you sync up a local copy of a remote directory.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Here's my rsync script:

#! /bin/sh -
    EXCLUDE='--exclude **.svn --exclude .DS_Store --exclude cache --exclude error_log'
    OPTIONS='-av'
    DELETE="--delete-after"

DEST='/Users/me/localdir/'
    SOURCE='user@host.com:/path/tosite/onserver/'
    rsync -e "ssh -p 22" $OPTIONS $DELETE $EXCLUDE $SOURCE $DEST
    I run this from my *local* computer. It rsyncs from the remote server to the local destination. You obviously need to set DEST and SOURCE appropriately. You also might want to take a look at the options. I have it set up to delete files locally that no longer exist remotely - it's a mirror. Obviously, this can be playing with fire if you don't know what you are doing.

You could also have a version that runs remotely on the server, but the destination would have to have a port exposed to the internet and always be on with a known address. Since that's not true of my laptop, I 'pull' stuff from the server instead of 'pushing' it from the server.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    Here's my rsync script:

I run this from my *local* computer. It rsyncs from the remote server to the local destination. You obviously need to set DEST and SOURCE appropriately. You also might want to take a look at the options. I have it set up to delete files locally that no longer exist remotely - it's a mirror. Obviously, this can be playing with fire if you don't know what you are doing.

You could also have a version that runs remotely on the server, but the destination would have to have a port exposed to the internet and always be on with a known address. Since that's not true of my laptop, I 'pull' stuff from the server instead of 'pushing' it from the server.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Oh yeah, if you add in a '-n' option to the rsync command, it will do a dry run - not actually copy anything. You can and should do that the first couple times to make sure it is going to do what you think it should.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin