Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,842   Posts: 1,582,621   Online: 1075

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tim,

Do you have any advice in terms of uploading a locally hosted Wordpress site to a remote server (linux based in my case)?

Tom

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you are on OS X, Transmit is a really nice FTP/SFTP application, but it costs money. Cyberduck is almost as nice and is free. Either one should let you drag and drop the bulk of your site onto the remote server. You'll obviously need to make sure mysql is setup on the remote server and you might need to edit the wp-config.php file (or whatever its called) to make sure paths and things are set up correctly for the remote server.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Tim,

Do you have any advice in terms of uploading a locally hosted Wordpress site to a remote server (linux based in my case)?

Tom
    It can be very easy if you are creating a custom theme and the actual content will be loaded directly on the server, which would be the most common way to handle a Wordpress site. If that is the case, do a fresh install of Wordpress on the remote server and then move the custom theme folder from your locally hosted site to the remote site. (It lives in wp-content/themes inside of your wordpress directory) Once it is there, you can change the theme to your theme and start adding content.

I am not too good at MySQL and basic server maintenance, so uploading the database to the remote server and making sure that the everything is named properly and all the settings are correct is more than I am comfortable with. I would personally rather load the content to the remote server directly once the site is set up.

By the way, I was about to recommend MAMP to you and then I read your post about having discovered it. I totally love MAMP, again since I am not a Unix head, it is just wonderful to have it all ready to go like that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daltonrooney View Post
    Howdy,
    I am the author of the Portfolio theme linked to earlier in this thread. As you can see, a WordPress site does not have to look like a blog!

I also released the slideshow functionality that powers that theme as a free plugin, which you can find elsewhere on the site. I've seen some great uses of this code, such as here: http://www.tracybishop.com/. Tracy used a theme called Headway, along with my plugin, to make a pretty amazing portfolio.

I have set up a few dozen photographers on WP now, and so far everyone has loved it. Best of luck!

Dalton
    I just purchased your theme to play around with and I probably will end up using it on my site in some form. I want to thank you for making the plugin available and making the theme so absurdly cheap. I hope you are making a little money on it because it really looks slick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just my 2 cents for anyone who has been following this thread and scratching their heads about all the geeky unix-head stuff - Don't get scared away. This is sort of inside baseball stuff that you really don't have to know. Wordpress is a fantastic way to go to get a professional looking site installed very quickly.

After looking at Dalton's theme, my recommendation for somebody who just wants to get a site up and going with minimal cost and headaches is to buy his incredibly priced theme, download the free Wordpress 3.01 and find a good hosting service that will give you mySQL access and just install your site and go. The only truly geeky part you may encounter is setting up the database on the server. Some service providers make it easier than others. But it is so common nowadays, that if you find a provider that gives you any static, just look for another one.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen View Post
    It can be very easy if you are creating a custom theme and the actual content will be loaded directly on the server, which would be the most common way to handle a Wordpress site. If that is the case, do a fresh install of Wordpress on the remote server and then move the custom theme folder from your locally hosted site to the remote site. (It lives in wp-content/themes inside of your wordpress directory) Once it is there, you can change the theme to your theme and start adding content.

I am not too good at MySQL and basic server maintenance, so uploading the database to the remote server and making sure that the everything is named properly and all the settings are correct is more than I am comfortable with. I would personally rather load the content to the remote server directly once the site is set up.

By the way, I was about to recommend MAMP to you and then I read your post about having discovered it. I totally love MAMP, again since I am not a Unix head, it is just wonderful to have it all ready to go like that.
    Paul,

I've just visited your site and note the control you've been able to exercise over the design of the site. Do I take it www.paulsorensenphoto.com is built in Wordpress?

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Paul,

I've just visited your site and note the control you've been able to exercise over the design of the site. Do I take it www.paulsorensenphoto.com is built in Wordpress?

Tom
    No, actually, this is a commercial template driven site that is on its way out. It is from Portfoliositez.com and I did it to market a short lived attempt to do weddings and portraits for actual money. I am going to remove the link from my footer because it is all non APUG appropriate and not the work that I really wish to share with the world anyway.

If you are looking for a flash driven template site, I really like them, they offer a nice system and good looking templates for a far better price than any of their competition that I could find. Of course, being flash it is iPhone and iPad unfriendly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a question on how to build a drop down menu which doesn't entirely rely on 'Pages':

See video:

http://www.tomkershaw.com/apug/wordp...u_question.mov (with audio)

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That would be me I think Ike??? I too like the Wordpress format very much. Dalton's theme is really simple to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by deisenlord View Post
    Tom,
    Kerik's site is using Thesis.

Dalton,
    I like your theme as well, very clean. I turned a friend onto it who's using it.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am using Thesis, too.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin