Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,600   Online: 636

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clay View Post
    Just my 2 cents for anyone who has been following this thread and scratching their heads about all the geeky unix-head stuff - Don't get scared away. This is sort of inside baseball stuff that you really don't have to know. Wordpress is a fantastic way to go to get a professional looking site installed very quickly.
    Thanks, Clay - I (and, no doubt, many others) feel better.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well thanks to all for the insights. I am now a WordPress.com blog junkie till I host my own site later, and just in dealing with the issues of the free blog I find I am sitting and reading a little too much and have many questions. In searching the available themes's while checking this all out, I found some for sale that were quite slick if you wish to buy one and serve up your own PhotoBlog.
    Since many of us are probably invested in various paths to show our work, WordPress being just one, I wonder if a separate forum category would be allowed here for conversations, or does that exceed the scope of the site?
    I have been a member for a long time, but the limited focal point here prevents me from subscribing when my photo endeavors entail encompassing the whole equipment genre so to say. But I do enjoy the company and the conversations here and I am an avid film supporter.
    Perhaps DPUG when online will prove the successor for me and give me reason to subscribe.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Wayne - as long as you shoot some film there are plenty of worthwhile discussions to be had here. While most of us do at least some wet printing, many of us finish off with scanners and/or shoot digital.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does anyone know of a wordpress website theme that allows horizontal scrolling display of images? I think I'd prefer that to the standard indexhibit style page number click throughs. I've been searching and looking at the wordpress themes page but can't find anything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michael,

I think I saw something along those lines while looking through the options. I'll try and remember.

Tom

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael W View Post
    Does anyone know of a wordpress website theme that allows horizontal scrolling display of images? I think I'd prefer that to the standard indexhibit style page number click throughs. I've been searching and looking at the wordpress themes page but can't find anything.
    If your setting up a free blog at WordPress there are two I found. Just do a theme search with "photo" as the search term. There is a third that I think had horizontal scrolling and I found it using "photoblog" as a search term.
    If your looking for a theme for a site that you are serving up, I ran across a couple thru this thread that I researched, neither free.

1. http://thethemefoundry.com/
    2. http://www.prophotoblogs.com/examples/
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I finally got my new site mostly together. I am still scanning and loading work onto the site, right now it is a little sparse. I built it using the Portfolio theme discussed in this thread previously, with significant changes to the CSS myself to get something that felt a little more custom. I can't recommend Portfolio highly enough for anyone who is considering doing a WordPress based site. http://daltonrooney.com/portfolio/

One more item of interest, I found out that you can get free online backup of WordPress sites (up to 2 GB) from iDrive. If you have a really massive WordPress site and need more space, it is available too. My site came to just a few megabytes. They have a plugin for Wordpress that automates the backup process to the iDrive servers. It seems far easier than most of the other options I have come across, so I thought I would pass it along.

The site is at http://www.paulsorensenphoto.com. Thanks for the info everyone, this was a very helpful thread and got me going on the site finally.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

UPDATE

Returning to this topic, in terms of photo galleries; aside from Clay Harmon's approach, has anyone used Slideshow Pro Director, possibly integrated with Wordpress and 'Thesis'?

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    BUMP

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'm still looking for a horizontal scrolling theme to redesign my own site, so I haven't used any plug-ins that you want. My site currently uses Simpleviewer Pro, but the Flash prevents it from viewing on mobile devices. I like the look and layout of horizontal sites since it mimics books and gallery walls.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin