Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,991   Posts: 1,524,224   Online: 1144

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I suppose that's the way most porfolios go these days, and visually some of them DO look very nice. However, I'm a bit annoyed at some pages that over-do flash, or scripting, to the point where the page loads and for 10 seconds you can't scroll or click because it's not done "running" things behind the scenes.

I think you can do a lot of nice things (exercise the ol'e HTML magic, if you will) with basic tables, and some rudimentary javascripting.

Personally speaking, I wonder "Why does that page look and feel like a blog? Is it a blog? Shouldn't it be a portfolio" when I view some of them. I say if it's going to look, feel, and act like a blog, just create a blog. Many people use those to a great degree of success. If you're going to make it a webpage (i.e. not a blog) then stay away from those elements of a blog that give the wrong feel.

Please don't misunderstand, I'm totally supportive of the opinions posted above me, I'm simply adding my 2 cents as well. The question I had was: Why do you need a MySql database? The answer I inferred was "to automatically update new posted content on a regular basis" and my response was "but... isn't that a blog?"

I know, I know.. I'm not one to speak. I don't even have a photography webpage, and I'm not up on the latest marketing trends and so forth. My HTML has been more recreational over the past 13 years or so, but I have been active enough to pick up on a few things.
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markster View Post
    The question I had was: Why do you need a MySql database? The answer I inferred was "to automatically update new posted content on a regular basis" and my response was "but... isn't that a blog?"
    I have database because of two reasons:

1) There's a blog on my site
    2) once all the data about pictures is in a database it becomes much easier to use them on different web pages. If, for example, you want a "picture of the day" on your home page then you need a database of some sort

It was actually this second reason that persuaded me to add a database, and it hugely reduced my maintenance workload. The blog is relatively new.

Shooter
    35mm
    Forgive my ignorance, as I don't run a blog myself (haven't in many a year) but isn't that [the random picture] something you might find in a blog setup? I mean to say isn't that a tool or plugin they use? Or is it not very common? Just curious.
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Forgive my ignorance, as I don't run a blog myself (haven't in many a year) but isn't that [the random picture] something you might find in a blog setup? I mean to say isn't that a tool or plugin they use? Or is it not very common? Just curious.
    And the common blogging platforms are MySQL database driven.

I suspect that a random image plugin would be available for Wordpress, probably for free, but that does not change anything in regards to having a database.

Wordpress is a wonderful platform not only for blogs but for general sites as well. It makes the updating process much easier and makes adding pages also a breeze. Don't get lost in the fact that it is primarily a blog platform, it is much more useful than that.

I think you can do a lot of nice things (exercise the ol'e HTML magic, if you will) with basic tables, and some rudimentary javascripting.
    Certainly you can, however if you are still using tables to lay out your pages, I strongly suggest learning CSS, it is far more flexible, not that hard at all, and is the method supported by standards going forward. CSS is designed for page layout and formatting, using tables is a hack that folks figured out since HTML was originally developed without much in the way of formatting tools.

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe it's a throwback to how I learned HTML, but I always considered CSS to just be the eye candy. I always mentally pictured the tables underneath it. So, yes, I guess when I say "tables" I'm including CSS.

Sorry for the confusion, and I hope I didn't hurt any creative development with my "negative waves"
    -Markster

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Tom, did you ever find what you were looking for? I just revamped my site with Indexhibit. It was easy to install and let me use the horizontal scrolling I was looking for. Best part was that it was super easy to upload and organize images. It does require some coding for customization, but it is free.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Greg,

Just spotted this update to the thread. I've started to put something together using Slideshow Pro director and Wordpress (Thesis). The integration of SSPD and Wordpress was rather confusing as the documentation points in the wrong direction; i.e. one doesn't use the SSPD Wordpress plug-in, simply a more standard embed within the HTML.

Tom

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I Slideshow Pro a flash file? I read in the news yesterday that Apple finally convinced Adobe to give up Flash as the web standard for online multimedia and switch to HTML5. Adobe will be developing a new program that converts Flash to HTML5 so that iPads, iPhones, etc can see these things online. It is the very fact that they couldn't see my Flash based Simpleviewer site that I decided to change.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    35mm

Tables vs. CSS

I do web site development for a living for a state university. One of the things we are big on is accessibility for disabled people, especially for blind/low vision users. Many of these folks have screen readers such as JAWS (Job Access With Speech) that read the screen to them. When JAWS encounters a table with 12 rows and 4 columns, it will literally say to the user "Table has 12 rows and 4 columns" and then start reading the table. If you're using CSS for layout, JAWS won't say that to the user.

Tables are okay for presenting tabular data, since that is what they are intended for. But for layout, you should really use CSS. It is very powerful and not terribly difficult to use.

ME Super

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some of the confusion I think that some folks are experiencing vis-à-vis WordPress is the "blogging platform" connotation. While it was originally designed for blogging, it's now considered a Content Management System (CMS). Several other options exist and each one has its own pluses and minuses . My site is currently running on ModX, but my developer (AKA my beautiful and talented wife) wants to transition me to WordPress at some point. (turns out that Microsoft bought up ModX and is letting it die on the vine)

A good CMS is really nice because it allows you to make changes to the content of your site without screwing up anything else (and incurring the wrath of your developer).

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin