Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,692   Posts: 1,548,954   Online: 808

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A Wordpress based approach to building a new website?

The context here is that I need to re-build my photography website in due course within the next few months, having built a simple site with hand coded HTML back in 2006-2008 that hasn't been updated since and doesn't meet my current criteria; meaning I'm happy to start from scratch in design and technology terms.

Whilst I could build another hand coded site, and given enough time probably come up with something that did match what I want to achieve better than a template based solution (at least visually), I wonder whether anyone here has had much success with Wordpress or other content managed approaches to constructing a photography portfolio type site, including "premium" options, e.g www.photocrati.com ? - I can see a major advantage in the content management option in terms of being able to manage images with a database-centric approach.

Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I love Wordpress. Especially the widget plugins for photographers. There's also great SEO adaptability. I'm a total noob and I've found the learning curve pretty positive. There's an endless amount of templates too. I'm still learning but I know it will do what I want. I set up a general art blog to practice with the SEO and updating content. When I get it wired I'll move my photo website.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have also been thinking of doing something like this. I don't know if you have ever done any Wordpress themes, but they aren't too tough. I went through this tutorial - http://www.wpdesigner.com/2007/02/19...ss-themes-huh/ and have now done a few themes to match client sites. Here is the one from my web design web site: http://www.macgroveweb.com/blog

I have not really done much with images, however, so that is next for me.

So, I guess I don't have a heck of a lot to offer, but just that I agree that it seems like a good idea.

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the notes Casey and Paul; I've order a copy of the 'Wordpress Bible' discounted on Amazon and will see how I get on, at least to the extent of figuring out the options.

Tom

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You might want to check out Dalton Rooney's Portfolio theme for Wordpress.

http://daltonrooney.com/portfolio/
    Paul Hamann

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What are the best choices for hosting the site once designed, less expensive but not a blog, just a showcase and information site.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    GoDaddy is what I'm on now. So far their rates are fair and I haven't had issues. I hear that Media Temple is okay, but my wife (a web developer and the creator of my site) has one client using them and has had no end of trouble. YMMV...

Oh, and a quick word of warning about WordPress. If you're going to use it, make sure you've got the most recent release. There have been a lot of really large security holes in the earlier releases. One photographer I know lost her entire site due to a security breach.

Andrew Rogers
    www.silversunbeamphoto.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have heard in the past that GoDaddy is one of the hardest firms to leave if you wish to go elsewhere. Actual horror stories. Might want to Google and check about this.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I host several sites and am some what of a computer dork. Only somewhat though. Just to put that out there.

I use Wordpress for the blog I share with my brother. It's good at what it does. I've never really looked into using it to do portfolio type stuff; a listing of appropriate plugins might be nice to put in here. It is *somewhat* user friendly once you get it up and running; it's certainly gotten a *lot* better in the last couple years in this respect. That being said, when something goes wrong, be prepared to futz with permissions, .htaccess files, broken php, etc. Then again, I've been using it for over 6 years, so our site has gone through a lot of versions of Wordpress. The way I look at it though, it's really set up for blog-style stuff. You can make it do other things, but something tailored for your specific needs might be better. If that something exists. I'd be interested to hear what people come up with.

About 2 years ago I went looking for photoblog/portfolio software and wasn't too impressed with what I dug up. I probably missed some good options.

As far as hosting, I might steer clear of GoDaddy as well. I've heard bad things. I used Jaguar PC for the past 6 years. They are decent. I stopped recently because I wanted more control of the server and am now running at Linode, which I would NOT recommend for casual use. I've also heard good things about https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/. If you are a Mac person, it might be worth checking out MobileMe, and hosting your site there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I rebuilt my whole site earlier this year using Wordpress and Thesis framework. I wrote a series of articles about all of it that you can read here.

It is a very capable and flexible approach that makes adding content very easy. I am a fan.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin