Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,927   Online: 924

Page 1 of 22 123456711 ... LastLast

More problems with Light Impressions

I'm not sure what is going on with the business model and practices at Light Impressions, but be careful. I am sorry to add my problems to those already posted here.

I ordered some mounting materials including tape, some special cotton gloves, and mounting corners. I called to add items to my order, and was surprised to learn that every single item is back-ordered and will not be available for 6-8 weeks. Moreover, when the order was placed there was no indication that the items were indeed back-ordered, and I would not have known it I hadn't called. Now the really alarming and bothersome part: My credit card was charged when the order was placed! Thus, Light Impression has my money, but I will not have the items that I ordered for as long as two months.There is something wrong with the business practices at Light Impressions. Be careful, and consider ordering elsewhere. How unfortunate given the excellent service and practices that the business had some months back.
    Last edited by Mahler_one; 11-01-2010 at 11:14 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I still have two items on back-order from January! I'm looking for alternatives but the good thing about the Light Impressions of old is that they carried everything needed for archiving and displaying. Too bad...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I still have some back-orders with them from June. NOT happy.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    add me as well. This back order "line" is getting old. I used their products for many many years, but now i am out of patience.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are several long threads about Light Impressions and their back-order policy.
    I was a customer years back, but no more, due to their more recent reputation.

What's really amazing is that they are still in business.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My experiences are like Ann's and Bdial's. I'm sure others have complained, but they are not listening. I haven't ordered from them in years.
    I order from Frame Destination, a supporter of APUG.
    I would go after my money through the credit card company, and cancel the order.

Thanks George...have cancelled the order with no adverse financial ramifications. Would advise others to do the same, for there is no telling when the ordered merchandise will-if ever-arrive.

Light Impressions, as we knew it,might be gone...there ARE lots of other alternatives, but while LI was in business, they were fine to deal with. Great catalogs, and good service. Too bad...one must wonder what the real reasons for the current problems are.

Frame Destinations and Lodima ( Michael and Paula )...fine folks to deal with-honest, quick shipping, etc. Also available for telephone advice which is often invaluable. Little reason to look elsewhere.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I use FDI all of the time. Today it is all about customer service, actually it has always been about CS. If they do not see this then it is their problem to either correct or go out of business. Get your money back. They are financing their poor business practice with your money. That is just my opinion.

Jim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I used to buy all of my supplies for Light Impressions. High quality, excellent packing, good sales. But in recent years they have declined. I heard the ownership changed.

I recently took the bait for 10% off and free shipping. I think it was about 1 month ago and have received nothing yet. Also, the free shipping apparently did not apply to any of the "oversized" items I bought like print storage boxes. I won't cancel the order, mostly due to laziness and morbid curiosity as to when the items will arrive. I am still waiting on an item from Gnass which I paid for at least 3 years ago.

Trying to find an alternative, I just placed an order with Frame Destinations, a sponsor here. I was a little reluctant because it was a big order (~110 complete frames), I had never used them before, and they did not have the exact materials that I used to buy at LI. Eventually, I emailed them, talked on the phone, viewed some sample material over the course of just one week. I finally placed my order. He told me it would take a few weeks because of the size of the order and shipping by freight. The order came precisely on time. I thought the shipping costs were reasonable. The order was over 400 pounds and came on a pallet. The packing was outstanding. Maybe I need more excitement if I am enthusiastic about packing, but the packing was excellent. No dinged corners on the mat board. No scratched acrylic. No burs or grit on the aluminum frames. The corners of the frames fit well. Each frame comes assembled with the two sheets of matboard, foam backer board, and acrylic. (Because of the pre-assembly, I had to change my usual workflow but it works out better.) I really like the acrylic because the protective sheet peels off easily and intact.

I am not yet sold on the Alphamat 4-ply board as a replacement for the Exeter Conservation board at LI. I am only about 1/5 done framing so far so I am still sorting it out. The board is very good but requires much more frequent blade changes on the mat cutter. I should be doing that anyway, I suppose. That is my only complaint.

So two enthusiastic thumbs up for Frame Destinations as a replacement for Light Impressions. I will use them again.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I think it's illegal

Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    I'm not sure what is going on with the business model and practices at Light Impressions, but be careful. I am sorry to add my problems to those already posted here.

I ordered some mounting materials including tape, some special cotton gloves, and mounting corners. I called to add items to my order, and was surprised to learn that every single item is back-ordered and will not be available for 6-8 weeks. Moreover, when the order was placed there was no indication that the items were indeed back-ordered, and I would not have known it I hadn't called. Now the really alarming and bothersome part: My credit card was charged when the order was placed! Thus, Light Impression has my money, but I will not have the items that I ordered for as long as two months.There is something wrong with the business practices at Light Impressions. Be careful, and consider ordering elsewhere. How unfortunate given the excellent service and practices that the business had some months back.
    I've used Light Impressions in the past and they've been pretty good. But I think it's illegal to charge your card before the items ship. I would complain to Light Impressions.

Page 1 of 22 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin