Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,399   Online: 1010

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.

The straight-edge with a deckle pattern may be the way to go. I'm also thinking I could take a "blank" straight-edge and grind the exact deckle pattern I have on some vintage photos. That shouldn't be too hard.

And if that doesn't give me the look I'm after, I'll reconsider the Fiskar shears, or the rotary cutters from the craft stores.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Amazon USA sell this that is cheap and ideal for small jobs http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003E6BCK4/...SIN=B003E6BCK4
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On mine both the blade and the straight edge are contour cut. After looking at the pictures carefully I think I can safely say, it is identical to the one pictured.

This includes the splayed out corner mounts, mine is mounted onto a piece of timber.

One thing I have never noticed before, my moving blade is also in an arc, once again, identical looking as the picture.

Probably made by the same company and badged to whomever is re-selling, as one did back then and today as well.

Mick.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi,

Have you tried this link:
    http://rotarypapercutters.net/cart/i...od&productId=5

its a trimmer like this.

regards
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by resummerfield View Post
    I'm looking for a Deckle Cutter, to make that vintage deckled edge on small prints.

I would prefer the lever/guillotine type, instead of the rotary cutter, as I've heard it gives a cleaner edge. However, I would appreciate any and all comments.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gee, I was thinking it was something a mohel uses...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Deckle originate from the german word Deckel wich means cover or lid.

Seemingly in early papermaking the frame that held the paper pulp on the web was called Deckel too.
    As paper pulp leaked under that frame, the uneven thin edge was called deckle edge.

From this a on-purpose sharp cut wavy edge got the name deckle edge too.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I saw a replacement deckle wheel for a paper cutter in my local Staples store. It was on the discontinued items table.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JanK View Post
    Hi,

Have you tried this link:
    http://rotarypapercutters.net/cart/i...od&productId=5

its a trimmer like this.

regards
    Jan
    Thanks, Jan. That is EXACTLY the model I bought, and it works great!
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by resummerfield View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys! But I've seen the small rotary cutters at the scrapbook shops, and I've even looked at the Fiskar deckle shears, and neither are what I'm looking for.

If you remember seeing photos from back in the 50's, I'm sure you've seen a perfectly cut deckle edge. Nice and sharp, with no fraying or torn edges (at least on a new photo!). I'm guessing that most labs in that era had some type of guillotine cutter to make that deckle edge. But I've searched and searched online, and so far I can't find anything like it.

I'm still open for suggestions!
    Still have a few boxes of Kodak Azo with deckle edges on the paper. It came that way in the box. The old papers were made that way and it was a decorative selling point in some places.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin