Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,238   Online: 782

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mounting and displaying Van Dyke print

On the surface, I realize that this question may appear simple enough but this is my first go at this:

I've made several 5 x 7 Van Dyke prints on watercolor paper. I wish to mount and frame them for my office area.

This is also my first time using watercolor paper as a media to print photographic images on.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Corner or hinge them under a 4 ply window mat.
    I never dry mount these or any other alternative prints.
    It is artists choice whether or not to show the edges of the print with the brush marks. My personal choice is not to do so.
    Jim
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Jim

fdi
    Shooter
    35mm
    I agree with Jim about hinge mounting.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I leave the deckled edge and float them on a complimentary background.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    When I first started out with Platinum/Palladium printing, I was working with a couple of 5 x 7 prints. I didn't know anything about mounting alt. process prints at that time. So - I used an electric iron to dry mount them. I got a cheap iron at the local drug store, used the edge of it to tack the dry mount tissue to the back of the print, trimmed the dry mount tissue to the size of the print, put a clean piece of paper on top of the print, and ironed it (keep the iron moving) until the print was clearly stuck down to the backing board (took a few minutes).

I know that many people say that you shouldn't dry mount alt. process prints, and I now make little corner mounts to mount my larger prints, but at the time with the smaller size print, it seemed like something to try. The prints have been hanging in my dining room now for 5 years and show no signs of damage or the dry mount lifting up at all. The surface of the prints also didn't show any sign of any damage from the ironing either. It was an easy process with the smaller size prints and I didn't need a dry mount press. Just use the iron at about the lowest setting because the dry mount tissue doesn't use a higher setting on the iron to work.
    Dan's website: www.dandozer.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Corner or hinge them under a 4 ply window mat.
    Jim
    Several people have recommended going this route. So, I've decided to go with precut ArchivalMethods 100% Cotton Museum Board with 4 Ply beveled window &
    2 Ply backing board hinged to the window on the long side with linen tape.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I dry mount my van dykes and cyanotypes when I do them. Works fine for me. Why is it a bad thing to do?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I dry mount my van dykes and cyanotypes when I do them. Works fine for me. Why is it a bad thing to do?
    Good Question ...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin