Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,952   Posts: 1,522,725   Online: 889

Shooter
    35mm RF

Photo book making using Gelatin Silver Paper

For my thesis class I am going to be making several "perfect" bind books and I was wondering if anyone has any experience or advice as to which B&W paper to use. I'm looking for something to replicate the stock used in most any paperback photo book...ideally I would also be using a rubber stamp to add information to the page.

I have already made one book and am set on the binding method, but I have yet to find a paper that I like the look of for this method. Any sort of Kodak made paper is straight out (out of production and has printing on the back); Ilford pearl is just a little too glossy to stamp on...matte seems too dull...any suggestions would be great.

For those of you who don't know, perfect binding is widely used in paperback book making, great for binding single sheets or groups of of paper together. Pick up any paper back book and you'll see what I'm talking about; it's basically layer upon layer of glue on the binding and a paper cover folded over the spine. Not the most durable, but works great and looks good too. I'm not looking to insert photographs into a book, I plan to use the actual prints.

RC is preferable, but if there's some fantastic fiber option I should consider I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

B

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need to look at how others make hand made photo books. I'd now idea what a "perfect" bond is until you told me but it's not the approach I'd take under any circumstances.

I've made a few and usually use FB paper which I dry-mount onto watercolour paper, but I've used a few approaches.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    ...usually use FB paper which I dry-mount onto watercolour paper, but I've used a few approaches.

Ian
    That's an interesting approach.

I wonder how 21st Editions binds their incredibly beautiful (and expensive!) books?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    you might consider something hand bound rather than a perfect binding.
    i use a fiber paper, any fiber paper tipped ( glued ) onto water color paper ... and then a simple japanese open spine it isn't hard to stitch the pages together and make a closed-spine cover either ...

i have used rc paper ( kodak endura and the fuji crystal archive ) as well
    as kodak kodabromide single weight, forte ( single weight ), seagull ( blue box )
    and faux ilford fbmg ( rebranded photowarehouse made in england ), azo as well
    as a handful of others.

the hand tipping ( i use rice or wheat paste ) is the hard part, the rest is a piece of cake. ( tipping the image onto water color paper makes it easy to write on the page. )

keith smith has a great series of books on book making and franz zeier's books boxes and portfolios that is helpful as well ...

good luck !
    john
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Honestly, I think you would be better off with great quality reproductions through a laser printer or get an actual printer to run them for you. Photo papers (and inkjet papers)are just too stiff. If you really want to use photo papers, then I would suggest a single weight paper. Off the top of my head, Slavich is the only one I can think of, but a check with someone like Freestyle will confirm it for you. Good luck whatever you do.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin