Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,988   Posts: 1,524,045   Online: 971

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Dry Mount tissue: small sheets with big print?

I have a poster I want to mount. (not a photograph) Light weight paper, slightly thicker than magazine print. It's about 20x24 and was wondering what would happen if I used 6 sheets of 8x10 tissue on a mat board and was careful to butt the edges. Or 1/8th inch overlap? My press will cover 20x24. Tack iron to hold in place. Looking to minimize/eliminate any line or transition between tissue.

With the butt edge will the seam melt into itself?

With the overlap will the bump flatten?

I assume thicker fiber print would work better but might still show a line where the tissue overlaps/butts? (is this forbidden? )
    Robland - Seattle area

Insert "catch phrase" here...

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I have done it before. Just butt the edges up against each other. Don't overlap.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Jon is right. To prevent creep I'd seal all of each tissue to either the poster or the mount board rather than just tack it.

Shooter
    Medium Format

How do you seal?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Jon is right. To prevent creep I'd seal all of each tissue to either the poster or the mount board rather than just tack it.
    Maybe a stupid question but how do you seal a heat activated product?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I meant that I adhere the entire tissue to the poster or mount board in the dry mounting press rather than tack a small area of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have (to the board side only) added a small dab of saliva to keep the dry mount sheets from sliding around (old shellac ones were very slick).

Then but the smaller adhesiive sheets together and add the print, and partially slide it in to tack it while still aligned.

Then slide the whole thing into the press (or at least as much as will fit with one bite).
    my real name, imagine that.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin