Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,233   Posts: 1,532,919   Online: 1022

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

"Lith Print" identity crisis?

It seems that about half of the time that I have prints accepted into an exhibition contest, I find later that my entries have been mislabeled, most often as "Litho Prints," and in one case as a "Lithograph," which of course, is a completely different output than a lith print. I am very careful to legibly identify my medium as a "silver gelatin lith photograph," and if I have the opportunity when delivering the prints point out the accurate description, to no avail. I am about at the point of carrying a Sharpie around with me to make surreptitious corrections!

Have any of my fellow lith printers experienced a similar identity crisis? I mean geez, the spell checker on my computer doesn't even like the description! Who came up with this name, anyway?

(Rant concluded.)

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I guess you are using an A B developer designed for line film that makes these prints unique.
    I just call the silver gelatin prints and let people ask how they are made.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Happens all the time. I find that giving a detailed explanation of the whole process generally gets a blank look on the face of the gallery folks and they don't talk up the process to potential customers. In the future, I'll just label them silver gelatin as well and leave the explanation in the written form if anyone wants to bother reading it.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Here we don't get that. People are too afraid to look stupid, so they just put down what I have written. I usually stick to toned silver gelatin.

It works.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I quit explaining it a while ago. It doesn't irritate me anymore. I will talk all day about it if somebody is interested.

I'm going to hang a bunch of stuff in a coffee place here pretty soon, all liths. Last time, I had a little placard explaining the process. This time, I'm thinking: "No batteries, keyboards, software or user agreements were used to make these prints." See what kind of response that gets.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've submitted work to a number of shows over the last ten years, many of which are primarily paintings and drawings and the description of "media" or whatever is generally frustrating, further complicated by the fact that many shows have a label to fill out that has room for about 15 characters -- maybe 20 if you write really small -- on a line for "media." As a result I often see "Sculpture" in that line, which is usually pretty obvious, but no hint as to whether the work is soapstone, epoxy, paper maché, etc. And I've frequently had a problem fitting "Gelatin silver print," let alone "toned ..." But then, perhaps many viewers don't pay much attention in the first place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They get changed from "lith" to "litho" because of the spellcheck in Word, exact same thing happened to me and that was the explanation I got from the person organising it. From there it gets changed to "lithograph" because people think they're smarter than they are. I was in one exhibition where one of my prints was just reworded with "Photography" as the medium, because they thought "photogravure" was a typo on my part.
    "Silver Gelatine photograph" is probably the easiest thing for people to stomach. The public don't give half a crap about how much time and pain we went through for a print, as long as it looks nice.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Ullsmith View Post
    This time, I'm thinking: "No batteries, keyboards, software or user agreements were used to make these prints." See what kind of response that gets.
    You need an EVLA (End Viewer Licensing Agreement) that starts:

By viewing this photograph, you agree to [... insert absurd terms here].

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the 'silver gelatin print' description as well; it definitely helps avoid confusion about the print medium.
    It isn't a lie, even if it is a lith print. It just isn't the full truth, and it doesn't bother me in the least.

- Thomas

PS: Rich, you crack me up: "No batteries, keyboards, software or user agreements were used to make these prints"...
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lith printing as you are using it is a slang term. The word Lith is a common abbreviation for Lithography and therefore its slang use is likely to be misinterpreted. I know Tim Rudman used "Lith" in the title of his book but the word Lith already had a definition. I call my prints done in the "Lith" process "Infectious Development Silver Gelatin Print"

Marriam Webber On Line:

lith abbr
    Definition of LITH:
    lithographic; lithography
    Last edited by ic-racer; 01-27-2011 at 04:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin