Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,158   Online: 766

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format

T-Shirt Heat Press for Dry Mounting

Hello,

Can a heat press made for inscribing T-shirts be used for dry mounting prints?
    Finding a dedicated dry mount press locally is next to impossible, but there are lots of T-shirt presses around. They have a large enough surface, and a temperature adjustment feature. Would they work for mounting FB prints?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It may be sufficient, modern tissue need less heat, you need to get two sheets of card to press between and warm them well first to dry them. Usually warm them & remove, a few times to let the steam/water vapour escape. And dry ther mount card as well.

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks, Ian. I think I'll try one out, then. I've found a relatively cheap one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hah this is the exact same question I asked here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/8...re-prints.html . I think it might work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it works well, please report back. It could be a good, cheap alternative.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    If it works well, please report back. It could be a good, cheap alternative.
    It's possible to use a domestic iron, I have and 40 years later the first images/mounts are still fine. It's not ideal but it worked.

I'd suggest the OP (or anyone else) finding someone who has a T shirt heat press first and ask if he can try it for dry mounting (you go to it).

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    It's possible to use a domestic iron, I have and 40 years later the first images/mounts are still fine. It's not ideal but it worked.

Ian
    I started doing the same thing about 30 years ago and they are all fine. I don't mount that many and they were limited to 8x10 prints. So far, my wife hasn't minded sharing her iron.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What's the best way to use a household iron? Admittedly, that's probably the cheapest way to get the job done.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used an iron too. I don't drymount anymore, but that was how I used to do it. Put watercolor paper over the print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, if I have an iron, a piece of watercolor paper, dry mount tissue and archival board, I'm in business, right? I'm new to any idea of mounting, but I figure if I want to use fibre paper at some point, I ought to learn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin