Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,250   Online: 784

Shooter
    Multi Format

One more dry mounting question

I use a Bienfang press (Masterpiece 160) and mount FB prints on 4 ply museum board using Bienfang buffer mount tissue. The print and board are placed in the press sandwiched between two pieces of 4 ply museum board.

My understanding is this type of tissue bonds during cooling. I don't think I've ever had to mount more than one print per day so is the following feasible:

Bring the press and sandwich boards up to the required temperature, insert the print, clamp the press, immediately turn off the press and simply leave it that way until it cools down to room temp, then remove the print.

It seems to me this would ensure bonding takes place under the press pressure rather than pressing for a few minutes and then using a piece of glass, or a roller as the print cools down. However obviously in the press the cooling time could be something like 30 minutes. Is this bad? How would this affect adhesion? Other negative affects? Does this harm the print itself since it is subjected to the high temperature for a long period of time?

Thanks.

I hate dry mounting. I'm never 100% sure what's going to happen when I take the print out of the press. Will there be bubbles? Will the corners or edges come loose? Etc. It's always a gamble for me no matter how many rules I follow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They make these metal plates with handles to to use with dry mount presses to cool the mounted prints faster and flatten prints too. Here's one listed at BH photo for $259. A lot of money for a hunk of metal.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...0x20_Flat.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I actually made one myself and that's normally what I use. It's just that with tissue that bonds as it cools, it seems the high pressure in the press would be ideally suited to the cooling period.

It all seems a bit counterintuitive to me. It means all you're using the press for is melting the tissue, and the bonding occurs after the print is removed from the press, when really the bonding phase is when the print should be under maximum pressure.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm new to this forum. How did you make out with your mounting issue?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I use a Bienfang press (Masterpiece 160) and mount FB prints on 4 ply museum board using Bienfang buffer mount tissue. The print and board are placed in the press sandwiched between two pieces of 4 ply museum board.

My understanding is this type of tissue bonds during cooling. I don't think I've ever had to mount more than one print per day so is the following feasible:

Bring the press and sandwich boards up to the required temperature, insert the print, clamp the press, immediately turn off the press and simply leave it that way until it cools down to room temp, then remove the print.

It seems to me this would ensure bonding takes place under the press pressure rather than pressing for a few minutes and then using a piece of glass, or a roller as the print cools down. However obviously in the press the cooling time could be something like 30 minutes. Is this bad? How would this affect adhesion? Other negative affects? Does this harm the print itself since it is subjected to the high temperature for a long period of time?

Thanks.

I hate dry mounting. I'm never 100% sure what's going to happen when I take the print out of the press. Will there be bubbles? Will the corners or edges come loose? Etc. It's always a gamble for me no matter how many rules I follow.
    I haven't used the tissue you specify, but I have done as you described with no problems. Make sure you use some sort of release paper like bakers parchment or the purpose made release paper between the print and your sandwich board in case any of the adhesive oozes at the edges of the print so it won't stick to the sandwich board. When the press is cool, take out your masterpiece and stick it in a frame!
    regards
    Erik

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I wouldn't leave the print in the drymount press. I tried that for flattening a print and didn't like the surface of the print afterwards (gloss fb). For drymounting I put the print in the press for 2 minutes then remove it and place it under this nice piece of 3/4" polished limestone for a local stone fabricator. Marble or granite would have been fine too. The piece I received was a sink cut out which I got for free and then squared up with a diamond blade on my circular saw. The stone is nice because it really soaks up the heat.

Yeah the steel plate from Seal would be nice too, but not for 259 bucks.

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    My understanding is this type of tissue bonds during cooling.
    Is there a reason for not using Bienfang Colormount tissue which is designed to bond while it is hot, thus also bonding while under pressure?

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never tried colormount. Maybe it's something to look into. The buffermount tissue is designed to be removable. I've never tried unmounting a mounted print with buffermount tissue but apparently you just heat it up again and pull the print off. So I guess that's why it is designed for bonding to occur during cool down.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My understanding is that Colormount is the spiritual successor to Seal's MT5 tissue, but reworked to bond at lower temps than MT5 so it could handle those new-fangled RC papers without melting them. And as with MT5, it's quite permanent. No do-overs.

Supposedly this permanency infuriates museum conservationists, but I've never had one complain to me personally...

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin