Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,047   Posts: 1,561,003   Online: 1031

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images

need help with a photo website without Flash

I just about finished the second round of my website using Dreamweaver and Simpleviewer. And, today, I realized that Simpleviewer is Flash based and will not work with ipads or iphones. I want it to work on ipads.
    Does anyone know of a gallery/portfolio viewing or display software that does not use Flash? I want to keep the images simple, but elegant would be nice, too.

My site is: annesaintpeter.com

Thanks,
    Anne

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    if you could use either Joomla or Drupal as a CMS there are quite a few plug-ins for image galleries that are not flash based.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like Eric indicated, Joomla & Drupal are good options and not that difficult to setup (but there is a bit to do), if you went this route your entire site could also benefit as they are CMS.

You could also check out:

http://projectseven.com/

They offer a few image handling options, although at a cost. I have used some of their products in the past and they are quite easy to setup and use. And yes, non-flash.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've started out with Wordpress and Thesis; but good web galleries with smooth integration do seem to be somewhat of a sticking point. It was my understanding that Simpleviewer has an HTML 5 option for compatibility with the iOS.

Tom

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Thank you for this information. I'll check these out. I like Simpleviewer because it is clean. I didn't know that they had just released a new version.

Thanks, Anne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Anne,

I had the same concern about a month ago. Since I also wanted to have a blog and plenty of extensibility, I went with WordPress and I engaged a web designer to add a custom gallery for me. It is very easy to manage, all image gallery data is an XML file, no database needed. It is designed with iOS in mind, no Flash.

Have a look at http://rafal.net, and if anything looks of interest to you contact with the designer is through http://sicklittlefox.com. His name is Nick Goward and I've never met a better one - besides, he is a friend of mine.

I love WordPress as the engine behind it, I must say.

Good luck either way,
    Rafal
    Last edited by Rafal Lukawiecki; 02-05-2011 at 04:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anne

My website was done with iWeb on the Mac. It works flawlessly on an iPad or the iPhone. Have a look and try it out.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What you want to do is look into JQuery, mootools and others like it. They are javascript libraries that do some amazing things, it's also being referred to as HTML5. The gallery app that I use is lightbox2 check it out here http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox2/ . It's super easy to integrate into any existing html site and runs on the iPad.

D.
    My Photography Site www.lofgreenimages.com and My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My web site is Wordpress using a theme called Porfolio, which I have modified somewhat, from Dalton Rooney. I think he has wandered by APUG on occasion as well.

The theme can be found here: http://demo.madebyraygun.com/portfolio/

He charges only $12 for it and it includes some fantastic slide show and image display coding, worth way more than that in my opinion. He also offers a free Wordpress plugin, Portfolio Slideshow which allows you to place a simple slideshow in any Wordpress based site. http://madebyraygun.com/lab/portfolio-slideshow/

Dalton provides support for the Portfolio theme on his web site and is very good about answering questions and such. I highly recommend it.

Shooter
    35mm
    It seems like you could have those thumbnails and a larger image keyed in manually with some DHTML. The question is then, does the ipad and iphone run this kind of code? I don't have one myself, but my last HTML project had some similar image swapping going on.

Looking at the portraits page, you would just need a table with the thumbnails in them, the code that says "display this image in the big image frame" when you click on it, right?

You can get more complex if you like. I've dabbled in a hand-made shadow box using layers as well.

EDIT: I've done some coding for an academic page or two for my mother. She uses Dreamweaver, but had some problems with opening the pages with the scripts in them in Dreamweaver. It would hose the code when you resaved it (one thing I hate about WYSIWYG editors -- they think they know better than you and this is rarely the case!) so you would have to design the page first then add the code via notepad later. I tend to just use Photoshop and Notepad to design webpages these days.
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin