Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,579   Posts: 1,545,751   Online: 1012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ideas for labels for exhibition prints

I need to make up some labels for attaching to a wall beside framed prints for an exhibition. You know the thing with the print title, info about the print and the price etc.

Can anyone suggest a professional looking method thats cheap and easily attached to the wall.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fintan
    I need to make up some labels for attaching to a wall beside framed prints for an exhibition. You know the thing with the print title, info about the print and the price etc.

Can anyone suggest a professional looking method thats cheap and easily attached to the wall.
    Mount the label on a piece of wood and put in on the wall with tape that is sticky on both sides. I do that a lot.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fintan
    All I use is run-of-the-mill card stock... with the title and price and my identification on each label. Any word processing program should do - I use WordPerfect.

Attaching ... I run a Gallery and we have to be careful with the paint/ finish on the walls. If your work is framed in the common aluminum frames, with the "springy things" taking up the slack, it is very effective to insert the label between the glass/ plexi/ print and the frame.
    If you really *must* place them on the wall, we REQUIRE the use of a water-soluble glue; kindergarten-type "glue sticks" work very well and are easily removed with a wet cloth. Most other glues will take the paint with them upon removal - transparent tape is especially bad after it has cured on the wall for a week or so,
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    There is a translucent material that is in the lable format and you can print it on the computer and when on a white wall is transparent and the type is all that shows.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    There is a translucent material that is in the lable format and you can print it on the computer and when on a white wall is transparent and the type is all that shows.

lee\c

This what I do in Hoopers gallery in London when I hang shows, it looks good and is simple and there are no wood or card blocks sticking out from the wall. I have the lables made at a graphics shop near the gallery but if you cannot locate one near you Letraset is an alternative but a little more fiddley to put on the wall.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I think this by far looks the most professional if you're allowed to put things on the wall of the venue. Simple and elegant.

How easily does this remove? I'm curious...

joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee

lee\c
    I really love this effect and will look into it for one of the exhibitions.

The other exhibition will be hung on walls that are uneven [white washed stone walls that have not been plastered] so I would not be able to do it this way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Symchyshyn
    I think this by far looks the most professional if you're allowed to put things on the wall of the venue. Simple and elegant.

How easily does this remove? I'm curious...

joe
    It rubs off quite easily although the walls do need retouching but that is expected in a gallery.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean
    It rubs off quite easily although the walls do need retouching but that is expected in a gallery.
    Uh... I really would check with the Gallery first.

The idea that... "Oh well. they expect to `touch up' (a.k.a. repair damage)", can wreak havoc on the walls in a *very* short time ... and one might just be the one who happens to be in line for the initial brunt of the consequences.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    Uh... I really would check with the Gallery first.

The idea that... "Oh well. they expect to `touch up' (a.k.a. repair damage)", can wreak havoc on the walls in a *very* short time ... and one might just be the one who happens to be in line for the initial brunt of the consequences.
    Considering that every show is hung by fixing the frame to the wall using mirror plates that are screwed into the wall the "damage" caused by rubbing off some plastic lettering is indeed minimal. Thus far we've hung 10 shows and repaired the screw holes in the wall with Polyfiller and the walls are still in good condition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin