Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,497   Online: 849

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Cheap & Easy Fiber-Print Mounting - Clothes Iron

Actually, this could just as easily relate to RC paper.

But let's say I want to sell some prints, and I think the best choice is to provide mounted photos, unframed, to hang for sale in a coffee shop for example.

I'm thinking the easiest way to do this is by using drymount tissue on nice archival board and pressing it with a simple clothing iron.

Is this "good enough"? Any suggestions? How would you mount something as easily as possible, but to make it look decently good hanging on a wall, and easy for someone to frame themselves?
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually I find if you provide perceived value (even if the actual photography sux) it brings higher prices so I would overmount whenever possible.

I do have single dry mount shots around the house, but when something is going to market I absolutely, positively overmount and even frame in some cases.

IMO if you go cheap it just cheapens the perceived value and people wont pay more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good call. Then let's say I want to overmount it. I assume you mean like a matte, or "passe-partout", window matte? Are these all the same things?

I wan't to do this without having to buy anything but raw materials and I have no matt cutter, or that kind of thing. I could probably spring for one of these heavy duty cutters (wood board and large sheer) though.

I guess a better question would simply be, "Best Looking, Cheapest & Easiest Way to Mount Photos?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always used a matte cutter (Logan?I forget) at the community college.
    Window matte at a 45 degree angle. Usually Westminster 8 ply or a black if appropriate.
    Window was hinged with linen tape. Print mounted to separate board at corners (no drymount tissue for these)
    This allows switching out prints if necessary but they don't lay as flat with fibre.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone cuts mattes without a cutter on the sly also.
    Last edited by brucemuir; 03-21-2011 at 01:03 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarification & spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually... if that's all one needs, maybe I can find one for cheap.

What about the clothes iron, ever done that?

edit: Like eBay item # 400203603826. Can that do the center cutout as well?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Theoretically, the clothes iron would work with FB, but I wouldn't use it on RC paper. The probability of the RC melting even at low temps is too much for me.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another good call. Maybe I don't even need to drymount (fiber or RC) w/ an overmat and linen tape. I need to learn a bit about framing and display. Any good books that relate to photography?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, the Dexter Mat Cutter is my cup o' tea. Here's a good overview of techniques -> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu.../matting.shtml

Shooter
    Multi Format

Books

Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    I need to learn a bit about framing and display. Any good books that relate to photography?
    Holmburgers, are you familiar with Henry Wilhelm? And the book which he has made available on-line, for free? Try chapter 12, and perhaps 11.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You'll have to be a bit more specific, he has an endless number of documents on his website.

Does he have articles about the logistics of framing and matting prints? I'm familiar with archival methods, and I just need to know the "craft" side of things.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin