Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,850   Posts: 1,582,856   Online: 762

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

Float mount is when a photograph is trimmed so that there are no borders. Then, this piece is mounted on a mount board. An over-mat is placed but the window is cut so that there are gaps between the photograph and opening of the over-mat. The work appears to "float" within the opening of the matting. I like this look!

Is it "float mount" or "float mat"?? Anyway, that's what I meant.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you sandwich a smaller piece of matt to space the rear mat and the window matt?

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    tk,
    could you explain to me what "float mounted" is?
    Not tk, but here you go: Print Presentation

or

this earlier APUG thread.

One well-known photographer dry mounts (or used to) the print to 2-ply mat, then attaches the piece to a regular 4-ply with photo corners, finally overmatting the whole thing with a beveled window. This to accommodate some gallery requirements that the print be removable from its substrate.
    Last edited by ROL; 03-27-2011 at 12:18 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: more stuff of little interest

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you, ROL. Visual helps.

I use 2-ply mount board from FrameDestinations. If my hot-press allows, I use the same size mount board as backer board. If not, I use smaller mount board, then hinge mount that to the backer board.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin