Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,664   Posts: 1,481,682   Online: 751

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Signing name on FB paper

I'm going to have some opportunity to distribute my work in very small scale. What do you use to sign your name if you must sign on border of your prints? My paper will be Ilford FB MGIV Glossy surface.

If I was mounting it on backer/mount board, I'll sign on that with a B pencil but that's not what I'm going to do here. (I tried, it won't work)
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use pen with a very fine nib and sign my name in India Ink. And it's archival. If you're going to use a fine tip marker make sure it's acid free. Available at stores that sell art supplies.

Shooter
    Large Format
    My photo professor told me it was bad form to sign a print on the front. So I sign mine on the back, in the middle of the paper, using a soft graphite pencil; then do the same on the back of the matte.
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a pen, on a sticker, on the back of the mount board. You can print whatever you want on the labels, or just hand write on them. I suppose you could do that directly on the back side of your prints as well. If I had to sign on the border, I guess I would use an extra fine tipped Sharpie. But honestly, I think signatures look horrible on the front (including on the board underneath the picture). YMMV, of course.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You are not worried that glue behind the sticker will yellow the print? I have seen stickers just fall right off after a decade or so and leave yellow mark.

As to signature looking badly, I really think it is just a matter of opinion. I went to a local municipal museum yesterday. I saw everything from unsigned photograph, signed ON the print in the image area, signed on borders, and signed on over mat. Strangely enough, I didn't see one float mounted and signed on the mount board. (my favorite method) A friend of mine who is an art history professor and an artist (painter) herself also says it is really up to the artist how he/she would sign (or not sign) his/her work.

Sharpie, when used on shiny surface, will eventually separate and leave a dark line surrounded by lighter area. I'd definitely NOT want to use that.

Anyway, thanks for chiming in.

Images
    A fellow I worked with whose loose prints (not dry mounted) were collected signed in verso (on the back) in pencil, and on the front on the white border lower right, in pencil also, such that the signature would be covered when over matted, as at an exhibit. So that the pencil would stick, he removed a small rectangle of the emulsion.

For this ritual, which he thoroughly enjoyed, he had a small piece of mat board with the rectangular signature window cut out. He placed this on the print, and with and architect's electric eraser took off that area of the emulsion, then signed. Just one style, that was his.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi, I was being facetious about the Sharpie, because I don't know what would work well.

Maybe a Deco-Color paint marker would work well. I don't know.

And yes, it's a matter of opinion. YMMV, as I said.

As for sticky labels, I have seen them on my share of old prints, as well as my share of stamps. (I used to work for an estate sales company, and dug through stuff from the turn of the century through the '80's; the average house we worked on was mostly full of stuff from the '60's and '70's.) While I have personally only put them on the back of mount boards, I think they are invisible on the back of prints as long as you don't shine light through the print. I also think the adhesive matters. You could probably do a little research with some label companies and see what they have to offer in terms of permanent archival adhesives.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So far I just sign the back of the matboard in pen. Only problem with that is they can release the print from the matboard but it isn't like I'm famous or anything... My grandfather used to sign it with, my mother said, a pen that went right into the emulsion but I'm not really sure what it was.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just found and ordered a pen that is supposed to be acid-free and safe for photos. I'll see how it will work....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    tk,
    could you explain to me what "float mounted" is?

TIA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin