Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,811   Posts: 1,581,555   Online: 952

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: print warranty

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yeah, this isn't brake pads or a toaster oven. And I have never personally even heard of a print warranty before now. Seems like an unnecessary contrivance to me, an overhanded selling technique that should not be used on anyone at all in the leastways familiar with photography.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think your conclusions, based on the responses are quite rational.

I include a printed version of this (sans photograph and pricing list) including process, editioning, sizes, provenance and care, with every print. It is "understood" that as both "artist" and forthright person, any "failed" piece given the conditions under which and for it was constituted, or due to material defect or maker's negligence, would be replaced or repaired within some limited period of time. But I have never found it necessary to even include this last statement on the info sheet as my methods are beyond archival standard. I have never, ever been approached regarding warranty as it is equally understood that my work is that of an artistic endeavor, and not subject to warranty.

But really – a warranty with every print – what other "artist" would be expected to offer such a thing? Do the sofa-sized art sellers offer warranties? Bad precedent in my opinion, but perhaps this is what "archival" machine-made digital posters (oh!, sorry – prints) have wrought.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good choice Hector.

If you're trying to do the best for your customers, just think like a customer. That works every time.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anything you buy at best buy, radio shack, any appliance, computer, printer, cellphone, & tv you buy, they will try to sell you a warranty at your local big box establishment. It must be work, as everyone is offering it for consumer commodity items.

Photos are indeed different from consumer commodities. However, if you are confident in your craftsmanship and write the warranty to exclude the customer's accidents, and limit the warranty to a replacement print and re-assembly of frame, then it should cost you very little to offer a warranty or extended warranty service and it would be mostly profit. Word of mouth is an important part of marketing and you need to stand behind what you provide. The notion that you did this using archival processes is apt to be considered b.s. by the consumer in the same way "green" or ecological or "organic" is generously interpreted by marketing-speak.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    The notion that you did this using archival processes is apt to be considered b.s. by the consumer in the same way "green" or ecological or "organic" is generously interpreted by marketing-speak.
    As is the notion that an artist, if you consider yourself one, would offer a warranty on their work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Does anyone send a letter of thanks with their prints?

Can I see one of the do's and don't's sheets please?

Thanks,
    Shane.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin