Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,848   Online: 740

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: print warranty

hec
    Shooter
    Multi Format

print warranty

hello everyone,

last month I had my first solo show and have since started to sell photographs.

Does anyone here offer a "print warranty"?

If memory serves me well, a few years ago I read an article in PhotoTechniques by Howard Bond about a warranty and recommendation sheet he includes with the photographs he sells. I seem to have lost that issue so I can't be more specific.

Do you know of photographers who offer such a warranty?

I'm currently writing a warranty of my own taking into account the recommendations on Kodak's F-35 technical paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do not warranty my prints,but I do include a "do and dont" sheet for displaying. You can't tell if someone has displayed in direct sunlight or high humidity, and then want their money refunded. Best to just recommend display locations.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is a new one on me!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I kinda/maybe/sorta/just barely see the point of a do/don't sheet when you sell direct to the consumer.

I truly don't see the point of a warrantee on the print though unless you are going to charge more to provide that service, even then not really.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Are you printing to archival standards? If so, you can just indicate that. If not, a warranty is in all likely hood going to cost you money.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No warranty here... but if someone calls me in a couple years to say a print is blotch or turning blue or brown I'd take a look as see what is wrong. I had some commercially printed black and white do this, and I made good on it.... and made the lab make good on it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I also don't warranty. I do process with archival technique and recommend a local framer who is a serious collector and properly frames photographs. I have stopped dry-mounting and now prefer archival corners unless dry-mounting is absolutely necessary. In our climate if improperly stored even 100% rag board can develop climate stains.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    I do not warranty my prints,but I do include a "do and dont" sheet for displaying. You can't tell if someone has displayed in direct sunlight or high humidity, and then want their money refunded. Best to just recommend display locations.
    Same here.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Reminds me of the time several years ago when my (now) teenager and a friend made shadowgrams in my darkroom. When I dropped the print off I said "that should be good for 100 years" and she came back with "I thought you said 200 years".

hec
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you all for your comments.
    I do process to archival standards, but the idea has appealed to me and it's something I'd appreciate if I were the buyer.

Regards

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin