Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,931   Posts: 1,585,451   Online: 1060

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the Logan 650 and like it, though I have had some issues with curves in my cuts. It took some work to adjust the blade depth bevel to get better cuts. Overall, I have been happy with it. I've cut about 100 mats with it and never needed the production stops.

Logan's product support, when I used it, was top notch. I have never looked at the Fletcher.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got a logan 450 and have had it for quite a while; probably ten years and it has always been an excellent tool. I put a scrap piece of mat underneath what I'm cutting to provide a clean cut with sufficient depth. If did lots of framing regularly I might even get two of them so I wouldn't have to adjust the stops between the mat window to side distance and the mat window to top distance. Having the ability to do >32" is handy so you can chop down bulk board to useful sizes. The logan should be stored and used on a flat surface, order some extra blades when you purchase it; a box of blades lasts a long time, as you have to replace or flip blades regularly for sharp clean cuts.

I get better cut mats than much of what I see in other people's framed photos in galleries and even museums. Many people way overcut the corners of windows, many other people use a dull blade which makes cuts need burnishing or smoothing; you can screw up like this on a logan as well, but if you don't rush your project as an all nighter or cut mats drunk, you'll be fine.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a 650 and overall I have been pleased, but as others here have mentioned, especially on 8-ply mat board, I notice bowing in my cuts. I'm tempted to get one of those 850s linked to earlier here, but no justification for it right now (no cash, no need... I haven't been shooting and showing as much lately). But it would be nice to be able to start matting in 8-ply again and not have to waste so much board to get a good window.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by resummerfield View Post
    Check the Logan 850. I bought one about a year ago, mainly because of it's all aluminum construction. Not quite as good as the Fletcher 2200, but very close.

I just did, and it's very close to what I've been expecting, like others have said Fletcher is great for the day in day out framer in business and is a fine product line.

The Logan 850 is the one I would like get, I'll have to save a bit more for the budget but coming from a Dexter it's worth it.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin