Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,795   Online: 897

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Logan 650 Framer's Edge Mat Cutter - recommendations -

I'm in need a of new mat cutter, any recommendations? The Logan 650 Framer's Edge Mat Cutter looks very impressive, for those who have one can you give me some impressions good or bad.

Thanks,
    Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Its an extremely nice system. I have the next step down, the 700 Simplex (now called the 750), and I have have had it 15 yrs and gotten nothing but perfect results from it. My mats are better than any frame shop has given, and when you have a good mat cutter you save a ton of money because mat board is cheap (even expensive museum board, which you should be using, is cheap compared to paying a frame shop to cut mats!). You won't regret it
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one and find it a bit flimsy. It works well, as long as you pre-compensate for the bowing etc.

A Fletcher would be a better choice, but at 3x the price it should be.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I can't believe how expensive mat cutters have gotten! I'm sure that the Logan unit you mention is a great system. Logan seems to be one of the leaders now, althought I have never used one.

I bought an Altos unit way back in about 1976 for $45 (price sticker is still on the box) and the only thing that has changed a little is the shape of the cutter unit. My $45 unit now lists at $159 although you can get their "Web special" for $119. I still use mine for all my mat cutting and I think that if all you are doing is simple square mats, it works just fine.
    Dan's website: www.dandozer.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.dickblick.com/products/fl...utting-system/

The Fletcher is definitely more, I'm not sure that I would have enough time in life to justify it, seriously though the Altos unit I saw on the Blick site is basic but for the money I can see it working just fine. They have, like so many other things, risen in price. I was thinking Sears Catalog and then I found that some are more like Platinum member.

Watching the video the Logan model seems like a good unit, as to the price it's just particle board, common screws, extruded aluminum and plastic knobs but it's a whole lot better than a Dexter. What a person is buying is a design that saves frustration and body-ware.

Ideally I'd want a CNC mat cutter but that's a far stretch. I've getting tired of my Kodak water mixer too and have been looking at the Hass manufacturing unit, that's another $550.00.

I can mix my water until after I get a new mat cutter.

Thanks for the interest I appreciate it.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    try buying a used fletcher 2200. i just got one for $500 . if you cut more that just a feww mat's it will pay for itself .
    great cutter
    mitch
    mitch brown

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Wife gave me a Logan 450 for Christmas, and I love it! As said above, cutting your own mats saves a lot of $, and you can cut them the way you like. Probably the Fletcher is better, but I can cut good mats with mine. I think careful use produces the quality as much as anything.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I used a Fletcher 2100 when I framed professionally, now I have my own Logan 650. I liked the Fletcher very much, but they are expensive. The Logan is nice, but it hooks when I begin a cut more than I would like. It is a bit finicky to get the angle arm at a perfect 90 degrees. Overall it is nice, especially for home use, but if you can find a Fletcher for the same price, get it without hesitation.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Large Format
    Check the Logan 850. I bought one about a year ago, mainly because of it's all aluminum construction. Not quite as good as the Fletcher 2200, but very close.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ooooh. That's nice. I may have to look into one of those for the future.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin