Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,314   Online: 926

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Images
    go to the framing shop and ask for scraps. Always put a board under the one you are cutting for a clean edge.

Use the scraps the practice your cuts. Since you are cutting from the back of the board you will need to over cut the back to match up the cuts on the front. Practice this. No matter how hard you try to clean up a mat that was noy cut right you will never be happy with it, at least I am not. Practice, practice and practice some more. heck, that is what scraps are for right?

Oh yeah I thought one or two people mentioned this but I will reiterate what they said in case you missed it. KEEP LOTS OF EXTRA BLADES AROUND AND CHANGE BLADE OFTEN
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan
    I've thought about doing the whole mat cutting thing at home too, since I've started doing my own prints via alt process. Can you give me a list that would be suited for a beginner?
    I like the Low end Logan Cutter. It is cheap and does the job. It was my first one and I have not needed another.

http://www.dickblick.com/zz171/07/pr...m=0&ig_id=1025

There is a video that logan makes that is helpful but I found someone to show me how to do it. A nice frame shop worker is a very useful resource. Buy scraps from them to practice cuts with. The scraps, and practice will save you a bunch of money in the long run.

It is not a hard process but being a bit anal helps.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=geraldatwork]I use a Dexter hand cutter I picked up on ebay for $5 and a heavy corked back ruler I found on Light Impressions. After a few failures I am making perfect mats. I majored in advertising design in college (way before photoshop days) so I am used to measuring and trying to be exact. The old adage measure twice and cut once applies. I also find if I lose concentration I screw up

Great!! Someone else who can actually use the cheapest, simplest and highly effective Dexter. I have used it for years and I love it. I cut very good mats with it and a corked-back aluminum straight edge. I recommend it. Probably not for cuttin goval mats of salon-ish stuff like that, though ;>)

-Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the 650 and love it. I've noticed that the right angle guide for the cutoff can be out of square, two screws hold it in and the bar has a little wiggle room, so that should be checked on occasion. Be careful to put the blade back up after doing a cutoff, it's easy to overlook and can give you a nasty slice when getting ready to cut the opening as well as messing up a good piece of matboard if you start cutting with both blades down.

I have mine on a desk set at right angle to the wall so I can stand at the end of the cutter and cut by drawing the blade towards me, much easier on the back than trying to push it sideways from the front.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thought I might add a couple more questions (I'm good at that )
    Today I had to go to the gallery to get 2 prints mounted on white mat board (50cm x 40cm = $25 AUD each)
    1) Cutting your own - does it make financial sense in the long run? (How longer run?)
    2) How much room would you need?
    Thanks to all.
    Kind regards,
    Nicole

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole McGrade
    Thought I might add a couple more questions (I'm good at that )
    Today I had to go to the gallery to get 2 prints mounted on white mat board (50cm x 40cm = $25 AUD each)
    1) Cutting your own - does it make financial sense in the long run? (How longer run?)
    2) How much room would you need?
    Thanks to all.
    Kind regards,
    Nicole
    Whether it makes financial sense sort of depends on your volume. I met a pro photographer this weekend who used to cut her own mats, but due to the volume of her work, it's just too time consuming for her. She found a place that cuts all her mats and gives her a good price. I'd say if you are doing it for yourself, or your volume is low, cutting things yourself does save time & gives you a sense of satisfaction.
    As to how much room...most matboard is around 32"x40" (~81cm x 101cm) and that is close to the max size you might see. You can set up the mat cutter on a kitchen table then store it under your bed or in a closet when you are not using it. So not really much room at all.

There are many sites with some good info on matting & framing. Here's a couple:

http://www.pictureframes.com/html/tips.html
    http://www.logangraphic.com/

HTH!!
    Jeanette
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Jeanette Guess I'll leave it with the gallery for now

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nicole, at $25 each you'd soon pay for your matt cutter. I pay about $16-$17 for a full board (32x40") and you can cut 4 matts (note that 40x50 is different to 16x20" so check your frames 1st). My Logan cutter cost about $40-$50 I think but I got a thing called an 'adapt-a-rule' at the same time. It's a ruler with a channel that the cutter runs along, which I think worth the price (was quite dear, and you need the matching cutter). You can use a straight edge but the channel stops you wandering away from the edge. This things aluminium so it's best not to use it to cut pieces of board up as you'll damage it, go to SuperCheap Auto if you have one nearby and buy a steel rule, about 1m long. You also need a self-healing matt, and you can buy them cheap at the Reject Shop (well we can hear in Melb) to ensure you don't cut into your table/benchtop. Use a nother bit of matt board as a cover over the self healing mat to make cutting easier (blade goes thru the matt board easier than the mat).

The best thing about it is you can do weird sizes, and whenever you want them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Nige, great to hear from a 'local'! Thanks for all the information. I'll have a look into it!

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for all the information.
    Diane

Halak 41

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin