Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,860   Online: 1065

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    I use the cheap one too.
    Maybe there is something here that you will find useful: http://www.dickblick.com/info/loganmatcutting/
    A very useful link for me. It solves the one little problem that I kept having. Many thanks.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    A very useful link for me. It solves the one little problem that I kept having. Many thanks.
    I went a long time with my blade depth set wrong. That link was better than any of the instructions that came with the thing. Very helpful.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You and me both Neal. I kept getting a little curve in the corners. I even told myself I liked it, to stop it from driving me nuts. I shall now adjust the blade depth and hopefully get one right. Why couldn't they put that on the packaging? Thanks again.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    I even told myself I liked it, to stop it from driving me nuts.
    My usual solution to most photographic problems
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sean-

I have the same model as you have. It works fine as long as your blade is sharp (see countless posts above advising keeping lots of blades on hand) and you use a backing board (again, see above). I've made it a habit to check that my setup is square before every session; so far it's stayed dead-square, but it never hurts to check.

Nicole-

You will save money. As to room: I use mine on my living room floor. I don't know what the minimum space needed is, but I do know that I like having extra room around me to move the boards around as I bring them in and as I finish them. The more room, the better. (Besides, it's a good excuse to get down on the floor to play with the cat!)
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    To keep the cutter from moving around on a smooth surface such as a table top or floor, buy a "router mat" from the Home Depot (or similar). Porter Cable sells one fairly cheaply and it serves as a "no-slip" rubber mat under the cutter.

cheers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Okay Sean,

You've had the cutter for a few months now, so I have some questions for you (I'm about to go down the same route ....).

1. Where did you get the cutter from? Was it a local source from the southern hemisphere or did you get it from the US?
    2. How much was it? (and what was the shipping cost?)
    3. Have you had any problems with it?
    4. Have you ever changed the blade on it?

Cheers,
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Hird
    Okay Sean,

[list=1][*]Where did you get the cutter from? Was it a local source from the southern hemisphere or did you get it from the US?[*]How much was it? (and what was the shipping cost?)

Cheers,
    Graeme

I wondered about this too........a few years back I tried to buy one on US ebay but couldn't get it shipped due to size. Well actually USPS wouldn't ship it but Fed Ex would but their price was more than the cost of the mat cutter.

Exchange rates were different back then and it wouldn't cost as much now but wouldn't be cheap.

In the end I hunted down a mat cutter locally, I got a used C&H 48" in good condition for much less than the local price new of the Logan. Then I picked up an almost new C&H 60" for even less. In the last year a few of these have turned up and I suspect framers are dropping them for computerised cutters.

Clayton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Some more local data

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Boenig-McGrade
    Thanks Jeanette Guess I'll leave it with the gallery for now
    Just some extra Oz info Nicole. I bought a Logan model 1100 three weeks back for the princely sum of $40.50 here in Sydney. A full mat sheet (approx 1m x1.2m was $11.

I needed to have unusual size mats for the round 4 print exchange prints I had made and couldn't find any pre-cuts that were the right size.

Having taken the plunge, it's great fun after you figure out the corners and straight lines bit. I would never go back to have someone else cut my mats now.

My volume is all very low for non-commercial use so YMMV.

Regards
    Glenn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

See my post re prices in Syd.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Hird
    Okay Sean,

You've had the cutter for a few months now, so I have some questions for you (I'm about to go down the same route ....).

1. Where did you get the cutter from? Was it a local source from the southern hemisphere or did you get it from the US?
    2. How much was it? (and what was the shipping cost?)
    3. Have you had any problems with it?
    4. Have you ever changed the blade on it?

Cheers,
    Graeme, I replied to Nicole before I saw your post.

I bought the cheapest Logan cutter (Model 1100) at my local Sydney craft store. $40.50 with 5 spare blades. Packs of 5 spare blades were about $6. There were various models (all Logan) ranging all the way to $400 but I have to say I am VERY happy with my basic model. I already had a T-square and a metal ruler (600mm) from house renovations.

I've cut about 6 or 7 mats so far and have seen no lack of sharpness on the blade, but I note all the previous posts re blades.

Mat sheets in all clours were $11. approx 1m x 1.2m.

If you want me to purchase here and send to you, PM me.

hth.
    Glenn

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin