Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,558   Online: 1112

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Glen,

The model I'm after in particular is the Logan Framers Edge 650 (seen here). Did you see that one at the craft store? Perhaps you could give me their number and I'll ask them if they can get them.

I think I'll need to mat at least 10 prints a week, so I want it to be as painless as possible.

Cheers,
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If it's any help Graeme I bought a smaller Logan cutter from Eckersley's art & craft shop in Melbourne. They have a shop in Adelaide too and several in the eastern states. They also sell matt board etc. They had a loyalty system so when you spent $500 with them you got a $50 gift voucher. Not sure if it's still available though. Could be handy if you're buying a lot of stuff. Their website is listed as www.eckersleys.com.au but I haven't checked it out. Cheers.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    After a long search this morning I found this resource from Mitchem in Victoria: http://www.frameco.com.au (and their framing systems are here.)

They sell just about everything I could ever need for framing, and their base board mat cutter (MatMaster) is excellent value for money at AUD$450. It's a semi-professional mat cutting system which looks much more robust than the Logan system. It looks like I'll get a complete framing system for around AUD$1200.

I'm going to continue researching it over the next few days, but it is a promising resource.

Cheers,
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Hird
    After a long search this morning I found this resource from Mitchem in Victoria: http://www.frameco.com.au (and their framing systems are here.)

They sell just about everything I could ever need for framing, and their base board mat cutter (MatMaster) is excellent value for money at AUD$450. It's a semi-professional mat cutting system which looks much more robust than the Logan system. It looks like I'll get a complete framing system for around AUD$1200.

I'm going to continue researching it over the next few days, but it is a promising resource.

Cheers,
    Graeme

I frame all my own work and average about 20 sales a week. I'd suggest you do as I did and buy used professional framing equipment. You'd be surprised at how much of this gear is on the market as framing businesses constantly turnover. The pro gear will last a life time of heavy use and is much faster and results are repeatable every time.

While the home hobby gear is fine for low volume, think of the future and factor in increasing sales over time. When I do large group shots I can have 100+ frames to do at a time, hobby gear would get destroyed doing this as speed and quality are important.

Clayton

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    All good points Clayton. I wish I could afford the time and finances to get a fully professional system - used or new. However, in the location of my business it is near impossible for me to seek out used equipment (there are only two framers within 500km of Kalgoorlie. They are not upgrading.)

I'll look into it, but I'm not holding my breath for the framers near here to upgrade. Maybe the Perth newspapers will be more cooperative.
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    (there are only two framers within 500km of Kalgoorlie)
    Surely a profitable sideline opportunity beckons, should you decide to set up shop for your own prints.............

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Bradford
    Surely a profitable sideline opportunity beckons, should you decide to set up shop for your own prints.............
    Not really - there are not enough people within 500km to buy frames either ..... and I've got better things to do than become a picture framer.
    (When the time is right, I'll hire a person to frame my work - we may use the spare capacity of that person to frame other people's work.)

Cheers,
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'll hire a person to frame my work - we may use the spare capacity of that person to frame other people's work.)
    Cheers,
    That's what I had in mind (for the Hird empire!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Okay Sean,

You've had the cutter for a few months now, so I have some questions for you (I'm about to go down the same route ....).

1. Where did you get the cutter from? Was it a local source from the southern hemisphere or did you get it from the US?
    2. How much was it? (and what was the shipping cost?)
    3. Have you had any problems with it?
    4. Have you ever changed the blade on it?

Cheers,
    [*]Where did you get the cutter from? Was it a local source from the southern hemisphere or did you get it from the US?

I got it new off of ebay, far cheaper than retail chains
    [*]How much was it? (and what was the shipping cost?)

I'll try to find it and PM you, shipping was a killer..
    [*]Have you had any problems with it?

I've been to busy printing so haven't used it yet, I plan to get a big stack of prints then break it in

It looks like a complicated machine, but it came with an instructional video and I think after I see that it won't be so bad..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Glen,

The model I'm after in particular is the Logan Framers Edge 650 (seen here). Did you see that one at the craft store? Perhaps you could give me their number and I'll ask them if they can get them.
    Not sure if that model was there. Here's their url.
    http://www.northshoreart.com.au/

Good luck with whatever option you go with.

Glenn

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin