Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,761   Online: 857

Shooter
    35mm

Sorting Out Photos?

I have been shooting film for a few years now, on an amateur level, most recently with an Agfa Rangefinder. I would describe my style as a mix of art and travel, taking photos rather sparingly in general (36 images on one trip or over 2-3months at home).

I have now reached the point where I seem to have collected a fair amount of photographs. I value a large amount of my photos and am quite vigilant about keeping them ordered and complete. However, I now feel that many of my photos are superfluous(15%?), being the less successful images that are blurry, obstructed, over/underexposed etc. I seem to have kept them a) for completeness' sake and b) for the sake of art, and the thought that they may one day render useful/interesting (I am quite a hoarder). However when I look through my photos now these images become rather annoying as I flick past them in search of my more successful images. I feel like I should throw them away, but I fear I may regret this in the future? Perhaps sort them out and store them separately?

I would greatly appreciate any personal opinions and suggestions as I am completely stuck on what to do!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to APUG. Separate your good images from your not-so-good ones. You can keep all your photos, just show your better ones. Use your other ones as learning tools.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What a great topic. All I can tell you is what I do.

I keep just about everything. When I get a big stack of stuff, I spread them on the dining table and crack a beer.

The stuff I that immediately strikes me, that goes in one tray for toning. Usually, this was apparent at time of printing, and there are multiples. After toning, I keep the best one or two (these go in a dresser drawer, unless the wife likes it, then it's mounted and framed) and give the others to friends.

The stuff that might be of interest only to me, that goes in another tray. These go in a separate drawer, in a sleeve with a dated card. In time, I end up giving lots of these away.

The stuff that doesn't seem to be of any value, these go in another drawer. Sometimes things get better or worse with age.

I have a large cedar dresser drawers for this storage purpose, which probably isn't the best thing in the world, but it's what I got.

Maybe once a year things get a little reshuffled.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you both for your very helpful input!
    Keeping all but separating out the better ones is probably really the way to go!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I keep all the negs but only print the very best photos, which means no looking through crap. I also scan everything and apply tags, which means I can search for photos by theme, not to mention share stuff on the internet (see my signature), which would account for 99.9% of the views I get. Nothing beats a wet print but to face reality, no one is going to come to an exhibition with my name on it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin