Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,202   Online: 1189

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Frame hanging problems!

I'm preparing for a show later this month and discoverd that the top of my frames tilt downward (more than usual) when on the wall. I'm using wooden frames (20 x 24) that I made myself, and attach the wire about 1/3 of the way down the vertical orientation. The support chains at the gallery come out about 1/2" to 3/4" from the wall. I think this is aggravating the problem. I'm just wondering if the obvious solution is to attach the wire further up on the back of the frame, or if there are more clever ones??

Images
    Wire further up. Is there a way to to make a rigid attachment on the top bar of the frame?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you shorten the hanging cable considerably the top of the frame will tilt forward much less.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks Mark. Yes, I though about putting a small hook under the top bar behind the foamboard that would hold the chain close up against the frame. The more simple solution would probably be, as you suggest, to attach the wire further up. How close to the top should I go? The frames are in portrait orientation and the wire is now at 8 1/2 inches from the top.... What about putting rubber stoppers on the bottom corners of the frame....this may alleviate the problem somewhat....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks Ian. Now that I look at the hanging cable I certainly see that it could be a lot shorter across the sides of the frame.....

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    One way is to attach screw eyes at the top (on the back of course), as opposed to using the cross wire to hang.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good luck on getting all the details together for the show. An advance hanging trial as you discuss here is a good sign you are doing the right kind of advance planning.

Let us know how it all works out.

I am intrigued on your comment that the 20x24 frames are self made.

Commercially made ones that size are $$$, so I understand your motivation.

When you are less occupied, a post on your frame making technique woukd be appreciated.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks Jon. I think your solution is the most simple. Unfortunately the gallery has a chain system for hanging.

Hi Mike! Yes, I decided to set myself up for making my own frames. Took some practice, and some magic to make them look really good

After the show I'll do just as you suggest....

Shooter
    35mm
    I make my own wooden frames as well.

Perhaps I'm not understanding the problem in the right way, but could you attach some kind of spacer block at the bottom of the back side of the frame, which would then make the frame parallel to the wall? Would the resulting "floating" effect be objectionable?

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi Dave, you are undertanding perfectly The top of the frame comes away from the wall. I think this was primarily due to the hanging chain being about 1/2" - 3/4" inch away from the wall, as well as my hanging wire (i.e., the one that goes across the width of the frame) being too long. In addition to tightening up the hanging wire I'll also add small rubber bumpers to the bottom corners of the frame as you suggest.

Thanks to all for the helpful thoughts on this....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin