Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,194   Online: 993

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

C-41 stabiliser and PVA glue?

I'm planning on trying the PVA-glue trick to mount some FB prints to board:
    - dilute PVA glue 1:1 with water
    - brush onto board, allow to dry
    - slap wet print onto board, roll out bubbles
    - print adheres, dries and shrinks onto board for flat finish

But I can't tell if any of the glues available locally have antifungal agents in them. How about mixing the glue with C-41 stabiliser (at working strength) instead of plain water? Will that have the anti-biological properties that I want for an archival framed print?

I've seen the process recommended for use on masonite since it's pretty rigid, but I worry about volatile glues used in the masonite degrading the image. What about thin (3-5mm) marine-grade plywood: plenty of antifungals in it but does it contain anything that's problematic for silver prints?

I'm going to try mat board as the backing too but I suspect the print shrinkage will distort the board.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No one?

I've discovered that most plywood is phenolic-bound and releases a little formaldehyde, but given that they put that in stabiliser it can't be too bad, right?

Masonite is just wood fibres steam-blasted together, no artificial binders. Think I'll try that and some mat board first.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's to many variables. The PVA adhesives I use couldn't be used like that because once dried water has no effect, in fact they are washable so a wet print wouldn't adhere. I've never seen PVA adhesives attacked by fungus.

It's more usual to use wall paper paste which is starch based for wet mounting prints, this does need anti-fungants and they are included in all commercial wall paper pastes. The technique you describe would work with starch based adhesives.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin