Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,968   Online: 1078

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can anyone help me with this? Would be very much appreciated.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    This looks pretty good to me, is the print toned?
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    How's this?

This print was produced entirely by hand by me using a black and white film and time honored processes in a traditional darkroom. Materials and processes are of the highest quality currently available.

The photograph was printed on a double-weight fiber based silver gelatin paper by projecting an image from the negative, then processed through multiple chemical baths to reveal the image, then washed and protected. The expected life span of the print is in excess of 100 years when kept in a protected environment. Please handle the print with care as oil from your hand can affect its future condition. Having it framed in archival quality material and UV protected glass or in an archival quality folder is the best way to display or store this photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bob,

Thank you for your reply. Some are, some aren't. When they aren't, they are, at minimum, treated in StabAG. (Sitan)

I've tried very short Selenium toning. I didn't appreciate the slight (although very slight) density change especially in highlight. Toning isn't an absolute requirement for being "archival" is it? (or is it...?)
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would indicate to the recipient that they have framing done by a framer that is familiar with photographic archival materials and if they were going some other route that they request acid free materials (especially in humid Florida) and the emulsion should not come in contact with the frame glass. Once they purchase your print it's theirs and what you say is just a disclaimer and a suggested way to preserve the print.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Toning definitely kicks the archival aspect up a couple notches. For instance, even in non-aesthetic situations like important old micro-fiche, these are often poly-sulfide toned solely for longevity.

But, a well processed FB B&W print should last a long time on its own, with proper storage.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin