Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,759   Posts: 1,484,006   Online: 1155

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Write up on archival processing

Does anyone have a simple, to-the-point quick write-up on archival processing that I could use? I have a print I am going to present to someone and I'd like the recipient to know how it was processed, what to expect, and why.

I'd like to make copies of this write-up so copyrighted materials are out. I can write my own but I'm having problem coming up with simple, yet effective writing.

If anyone has one and willing to share, it would be deeply appreciated.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Color, B&W, fiber base, resin coated??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, sorry.... B&W, FB, and happily printed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What, specifically, is your process?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Basically the archival processing described in most photography books, including Ralph's "Way More Than...".

2 stage fixing, HCA, sufficient washing, toning (optional). Nothing special.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you mean "Way Beyond..."?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    yes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think you need to say too much. HCA, fix and selenium will mean nothing to most people. How about something like:
    My work is printed on double weight fiber based silver gelatin papers, and archivally processed to the highest standards. The finished work is mounted using acid free materials, ensuring the longevity of your photograph.

You can look at the websites of silver gel printers, and see how they word it, to get more (and better) ideas...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Right.

I have no intentions of mentioning HCA, fix, and all that - as you say, those technical details mean nothing to the general public.

I have seen a great article on someone's website once that explains archival B&W processing in everyday language. It was something like a half page long and was intended for non-photographers and "the buying public". Unfortunately, I don't remember where I saw it to ask for permissions.
    Last edited by tkamiya; 07-26-2011 at 08:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How's this?

This print was produced entirely by hand by me using a black and white film and time honored processes in a traditional darkroom. Materials and processes are of the highest quality currently available.

The photograph was printed on a double-weight fiber based silver gelatin paper by projecting an image from the negative, then processed through multiple chemical baths to reveal the image, then washed and protected. The expected life span of the print is in excess of 100 years when kept in a protected environment. Please handle the print with care as oil from your hand can affect its future condition. Having it framed in archival quality material and UV protected glass or in an archival quality folder is the best way to display or store this photograph.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin