Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,358   Online: 1033

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

DIY picture frames

I'm going to make some picture frames out of driftwood to display some of my darkroom prints. The driftwood comes from the sea. The prints will be mounted on mount board and with overmat to make it quite archival safe.

So before I make the frames..
    I wonder if there is anybody with advices regarding if the wood needs some kind of chemical treatment or if it's enough just to wash it with fresh water and maybe soap? I want to make the frame as "archival safe" as I can with that kind of wood. The print will not be in contact with the frame, but the mounting board will.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might want to boil the wood if you have a pot big enough. It'll take care of any critter eggs that might be hiding and also help remove other nasties. Then dry it well, very well. The heavier the wood the longer it will take to dry completely.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guess boiling could be the solution for wood pieces to small frames.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grainy View Post
    I'm going to make some picture frames out of driftwood to display some of my darkroom prints. The driftwood comes from the sea. The prints will be mounted on mount board and with overmat to make it quite archival safe.

So before I make the frames..
    I wonder if there is anybody with advices regarding if the wood needs some kind of chemical treatment or if it's enough just to wash it with fresh water and maybe soap? I want to make the frame as "archival safe" as I can with that kind of wood. The print will not be in contact with the frame, but the mounting board will.
    I'd be a little cautious if you have to cut the wood. There often is sand embedded in the wood grains and it can raise hell with even a carbide blade.

Washing the wood couldn't hurt, as long as this doesn't take away from the look you are trying to achieve.

As for the archival treatment you may want to line the rabbet with "aluminum duct tape" from the hardware store. This will effectively seal the wood from the mat and mounting board.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post
    I'd be a little cautious if you have to cut the wood. There often is sand embedded in the wood grains and it can raise hell with even a carbide blade.

Washing the wood couldn't hurt, as long as this doesn't take away from the look you are trying to achieve.

As for the archival treatment you may want to line the rabbet with "aluminum duct tape" from the hardware store. This will effectively seal the wood from the mat and mounting board.
    Lineco makes a "Self-Adhesive Frame Sealing Tape" (item L387-0151) just for this purpose. I use it in the rabbet of all the wood frames I make.

fdi
    Shooter
    35mm
    No wood frame is archival since wood is a naturally acidic product. As mentioned in another post you do want to try to make sure there arent any bugs that will crawl over to your print. One of the advantages of the mat is that it provides a nice buffer between the edge of the print and the frame. If you dont use a mat or if you want an extra level of protection then you can use Lineco frame sealing tape.

Cheers,
    Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martiny View Post
    Lineco makes a "Self-Adhesive Frame Sealing Tape" (item L387-0151) just for this purpose. I use it in the rabbet of all the wood frames I make.
    It is a good product, no question. We use it ourselves, because people expect it, but in my opinion it is no better than simple aluminum duct tape.

This opinion is echoed by quite a few conservators.

Trust me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Soak the wood for a good, long while in fresh water to remove the salt. Change the water until you taste no brine. If you have interior humidity, the salt will bleed out. Boiling is unnecessary if one dries the wood in the sun with UV exposure for a long period.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin