Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,281   Online: 1050

Thread: Websites?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Websites?

I know that this is the Presentation and Marketing thread site but I want to know how many of you have websites?
    What is it for? Marketing or show and tell?
    Is it visited much?
    How much did or do you pay for it?
    Did you pay to have a designer create it or did you do it yourself?
    Do you see a benefit?
    I'm asking for a feel of what is happening out there? I have an thought and I want to get a better feel about it. I chat with other photographs and they say, "Do you have a site?" or "See my work at www."
    I don't have a site. I use flicker, and forums such as this and Facebook.
    Love to hear what you have to say?
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I will add this: from asking around, seeing what other photogs do and -- most importantly I think -- asking graphic designers and artists...it seems templates from Wordpress (or similar set-ups) is the way to go. At least from the perspective of saving costs but keeping some type of creative autonomy and visual appeal.

Seems like it would be an ideal way to have your work easily available for viewing, which is a type of marketing. Many sites also easily allow viewers to buy prints, so it's (at least in theory) useful for sales, too.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

fdi
    Shooter
    35mm
    In my opinion websites are like business cards...if you are in business you have a business card and you have a website. It use to be that if you were in business you had to have a yellow page ad, but that is being replaced by website also. I do not feel that a website will make or break your business by itself but it helps complement and supplement other means of marketing your business.

Things like Facebook and flicker are tools to help market a website. I would not recommend relying on them completely since at any given time they could fall our of favor or be replaced with the next cool thing like google+ for example. You mentioned flicker, have you ever heard of pBase? That is where I have the most photos since I never got around to trying to move them to flicker. If you are going to have an online presence then you want to own and control your own domain since that will become your online brand. All of the social media marketing tools like facebook, twitter, flicker, google+, and blogs should all revolve around the website. Traffic will depend on how well you market your website.

Cost will depend on what you do with your website, how custom it is, how much you program and how much you have a company program for you. My business is not a photo business but when I first started the site it cost twenty something a month but now I pay a few hundred a month because I need a much more serious and reliable website.

Cheers,
    Mark

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have one, but only because the art center where I teach really wanted me to do something.

An old student put it together for me, and it is suppose to be updated shortly.

I don't pay any attention to the traffic and some students check in as they ask questions. Am not interested in the social networking sites, and in reality if it wasn't for school it is doubtful I would have one.

It seems everyone with a camera these days has a photo website with their watermark pasted all over the place annouceing they are a photography; but until the work proves they are I pay little attention.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    At the urging of my wife I made and have a website for my photography. Photography is not my source of income but I have made a decent number of sales although not through the website. It is a good way to share what you do with others. it was a challenge to learn the process and to edit and select the content. There is satisfaction in the accomplishment and to see that others visit the site (over 6000 in this year) I used Rapid Weaver software and the host is Fat Cow. The yearly hosting and domain name fees are quite reasonable and you never know who may visit and what it may lead to. I think that anyone purchasing an art piece from an artist they are not really familiar with would want to see the actual work. I don't know if others make any significant sales through the web.

In case any one wants to visit my site your visit is welcome and appreciated. There is a contact page if you are so inclined to give any feedback.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do not have a website of any kind. When I needed to share my images with a large number of people, I setup a flicker Pro and uploaded images. Once sharing was done and payment for service expired, I took it down. Since I don't do this for income and do not sell photographs except in rare cases, I don't need one on regular basis.

I work in an IT industry. Feels too much like work to maintain a website.... I don't do any social networking stuff either.

tkamiya
    an old mushroom
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mine is on Zenfolio. It's really easy to set up. I haven't sold anything through the site, but I do get a lot of traffic and conversation. I sell through art shows and galleries. I want to sell a finished product, which means mounted and framed prints. The web site is just a digital print sales tool, so maybe that's why no sales. Take a look.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just for fun and to show my images.
    I even sold some through my site.
    ________

Regards
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i have 2 things set up ..
    one is a visual business card type website
    to show clients ( potential and past ) what i am up to ...
    the other is through imagekind who makes, sells and distributes
    things for me that i really can't talk about here on apug
    right now, they are helping me raise $$ to donate to relief efforts in japan ( my signature ... )
    their "store" was a piece of cake to set up, and didn't cost much ...

my business / personal website was made by a friend who
    is a wizard when it comes to web design ... it used to be straight html
    but i use smoothflash now .. it is easy to work with, and upload, and everything else ..
    ask me how ..

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin