Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,426   Online: 807

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

What exactly does "Archival" mean?

I'm not after a dictionary definition, or any information about acid free, lignin free etc (although that would be useful). What I'd really like to know is time scale.

What's the current wisdom on print life, fiber/ rc, properly washed etc. unmounted and mounted using different methods, eg double sided tape, spray mount, tissue etc. How much of a difference does using archival board over normal board make. Are we talking years, decades or tens of decades before it would be an issue, or is it less than that.

Cheers

Martin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Martin,

Here is a link to an article on the Superior Archival Mats site writen by Michael A Smith about the use of Superior Mats and drymounting.

http://www.superiorarchivalmats.com/sam/Article.html

This might answer some of your questions.
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Here is a practical example from two photos that hang in my class room. One is mounted on archival museum board the other on cold press board. The cold press board is much thicker , for whatever that means. They were mounted the same year with the same materials, except the board type. THe cold press board is beginning to yellow, it is slight but nevetheless it is changing color. THe archival board is still the same color. The light source is the same, both under glass, etc. They are 22 years old.

SPray mounting is not healthy for your lungs or the environment.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks George, it made interesting reading.

Ann, apart from the board discolouration has there been any effect on the print, or were you reffering to the print yellowing?

Martin

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    no, the board is changing shades, starting from the edges, it will eventually work it's way into the print.

Years ago i would take a print i was thinking about doing, make a quick print and mount it on cold press board, frame it and put it up some place where i could look at it every day. Then when i deceided what i was going to do i would make a new print with all the corrections, etc and then mount that on archival board.
    I have a box full of the "cold press" version, some of which have not seen the light of day in years, the board color is shifting on those as well.
    My experiences have not shown that to happen with archival board.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Images
    I thought it meant "more expensive".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Archival means it's still around after you are long dead.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvinder Sunila
    Archival means it's still around after you are long dead.
    I have prints from my grandparents, all of whom are long gone but many of the prints, esp the B&W are still good. These were kept in a shoebox under the bed! Is that archival. (No, I know it's not.) Let me rephrase my question, by using ordinary mounts etc, how much life are we taking off the print, in real terms?

Martin

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't know, however, i am sure about the color shift to the boards and for me that is not acceptable. Either for myself or for anyone that may purchase a print.
    Spent too many years working to create successful negatives and prints to scrimp a few dollars on the presentation process.

However, that is going to be up to you to decide what works for your process.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin