Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,134   Online: 1079

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    I've used neg scans, try to match the print as closely as possible, and have made several Blurb books tha I find somewhat inconsistent from book to book in the quality of reproduction. That said, I'm sure you could generate some good scans from RC prints.

And yes, this is a somewhat borderline topic for APUG, so just report posts if you aren't sure. Thanks.
    SuzanneR, is there another company that would offer a better product, that you know of?
    I'll definitely be scanning from prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've scanned matte and gloss fibre prints with no problems. This was using an Epson V700. Get it reasonably close with the scan software and then final adjustments in Photoshop to match the print colour and tones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Huh, I wrote the OP
    Yes, I know. What I said was that in that OP, you did not mention that this was for the possible APUG book. You said something like, "for a Blurb book."

I'm starting to think about the best way to get my prints to Blurb for a book.

Does anyone have experience with what kind of paper is good to use?

I want to use fibre, but does it make a difference whether it's glossy or matte?
    Or is RC better?

I'm using a V500. Will this be suitable.

And I can only scan up to 8x10 inch. Should Is scan the biggest sheet I can, or scan 5x7 inch to save enlarging. I'm thinking of a smallish book.

Thanks, I will be experimenting on my own, but have usually just used the scanner to share pics online.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    SuzanneR, is there another company that would offer a better product, that you know of?
    I'll definitely be scanning from prints.
    I've only used Blurb. Not sure any of the other PODs are any better, butyou can look at Lulu or My Publisher. There's also the higher end Asuka book. They cater to wedding photographers, and I understand they make beautiful books. I'm sure there are a few others, if I think of the names, I'll post them.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Yes, I know. What I said was that in that OP, you did not mention that this was for the possible APUG book. You said something like, "for a Blurb book."
    Yep, not for APUG. For my own stuff.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Thanks SuzanneR, I'll have a look around.

Still, it sounds like RC glossy but be what I should try at first.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael W View Post
    I've scanned matte and gloss fibre prints with no problems. This was using an Epson V700. Get it reasonably close with the scan software and then final adjustments in Photoshop to match the print colour and tones.
    Thanks Michael. Did either of the surfaces look better than the other?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, not for APUG. For my own stuff.
    Which is why this argument confounded me:

Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    CMod has said over and over, for purpose of posting it on APUG gallery is suitable. On the same token, I'd imagine scanning for the purpose of APUG BOOK is also suitable.
    I said my piece in the very first post. It was not a "get lost" statement. It means nothing more than exactly what it says.

My posts since have simply been to explain why I made that initial post, not to harass you on the issue. I made it because you are talking about non-APUG use of the scanned images.

But you then argued that it was OK because APUG use was OK for discussion...

Then you said, no, you really meant that this information wasn't for APUG use...

So my initial reading of your OP was correct...thus my response reasonable, IMO.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 08-24-2011 at 10:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Mate, I think you've got 2 different posters confused.
    I don't want to get involved.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do a lot of stuff for repro. An excellent neg scan is often best, but you have to have a decent scanner and then replicate your burns and dodges, takes a bunch of work. Scans from prints work well too, and you don't have to recreate your darkroom efforts. Glossy surface is best, makes no difference if RC or fiber, but RC will lay flatter and that is an advantage for the scanner.

I think what John is saying is scan deep, (high pixel depth, RGB 16 bit or the best the scanner can do) then match it to look like your print. "rz" or res, or alter the final resolution to match the specs. Scan at a higher resolution at or above the final output size. It's best to work close to 100%, if the print is a bit bigger than your final output that's good, if much smaller, not so good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin