Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,715   Posts: 1,483,041   Online: 787

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images

Best materials for scanning for a Blurb book.

I'm starting to think about the best way to get my prints to Blurb for a book.

Does anyone have experience with what kind of paper is good to use?

I want to use fibre, but does it make a difference whether it's glossy or matte?
    Or is RC better?

I'm using a V500. Will this be suitable.

And I can only scan up to 8x10 inch. Should Is scan the biggest sheet I can, or scan 5x7 inch to save enlarging. I'm thinking of a smallish book.

Thanks, I will be experimenting on my own, but have usually just used the scanner to share pics online.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you should ask at www.dpug.org. It's definitely on topic there. It is only arguably on topic here.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find RC glossy scans better than anything else I've tried.

Matte surface will scan "fuzzy" because of light scattering on the surface. Size wise, I always scan film OR 8x10 thinking better details are available this way.

Can we please stop arguing/discussing suitability of scanning post on APUG? Mod has said over and over, for purpose of posting it on APUG gallery is suitable. On the same token, I'd imagine scanning for the purpose of APUG BOOK is also suitable. If anyone thinks it's not, please just report it rather than discussing it in the thread. (oh, oh.... I discussed it here too....)
    Last edited by tkamiya; 08-24-2011 at 07:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I find RC glossy scans better than anything else I've tried.

Matte surface will scan "fuzzy" because of light scattering on the surface. Size wise, I always scan film OR 8x10 thinking better details are available this way.

Can we please stop arguing/discussing suitability of scanning post on APUG? Mod has said over and over, for purpose of posting it on APUG gallery is suitable. On the same token, I'd imagine scanning for the purpose of APUG BOOK is also suitable. If anyone thinks it's not, please just report it rather than discussing it in the thread. (oh, oh.... I discussed it here too....)
    HAve you tried fibre-based glossy paper?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I'd imagine scanning for the purpose of APUG BOOK is also suitable.
    You also did not mention that in the OP. You said to Blurb for a book.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    I'm starting to think about the best way to get my prints to Blurb for a book.

Does anyone have experience with what kind of paper is good to use?

I want to use fibre, but does it make a difference whether it's glossy or matte?
    Or is RC better?

I'm using a V500. Will this be suitable.

And I can only scan up to 8x10 inch. Should Is scan the biggest sheet I can, or scan 5x7 inch to save enlarging. I'm thinking of a smallish book.

Thanks, I will be experimenting on my own, but have usually just used the scanner to share pics online.

when i was doing newspaper work they always asked for rc glossies for reproduction
    but i these days it doesn't matters that much. glossy rc is really reflective,
    but just the same i haven't noticed a difference in what i make in to 0's and 1's

as for blurp
    just scan deep fix to make it look like your print. and then rz down to whatever it is their program asks for.

make sure you save it the way they ask otherwise it will not look right ...

have fun !
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used neg scans, try to match the print as closely as possible, and have made several Blurb books tha I find somewhat inconsistent from book to book in the quality of reproduction. That said, I'm sure you could generate some good scans from RC prints.

And yes, this is a somewhat borderline topic for APUG, so just report posts if you aren't sure. Thanks.
    Last edited by SuzanneR; 08-24-2011 at 08:20 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Typo

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    when i was doing newspaper work they always asked for rc glossies for reproduction
    but i these days it doesn't matters that much. glossy rc is really reflective,
    but just the same i haven't noticed a difference in what i make in to 0's and 1's

as for blurp
    just scan deep fix to make it look like your print. and then rz down to whatever it is their program asks for.

make sure you save it the way they ask otherwise it will not look right ...

have fun !
    john
    John, thanks for replying.
    What does 'deep fix' and 'rz' mean?
    Cheers.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    You also did not mention that in the OP. You said to Blurb for a book.
    Huh, I wrote the OP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin