Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,009   Online: 1072

Shooter
    Medium Format

Negative marking pencils ??

I was wandering thorugh the arts building at my college the other day and they have an amazing photographic studio, i noticed people using some sort of redish pencil to mark 120 negs .... unfortunatley i dont study photography and the lecturer is a bit terrifying so i thought i would as my noobish question here

what are they called and where do i but one ?

Many thanks
    Samuel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not the negatives you mark with a china pencil, it's the contact prints !
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder if people are being taught to retouch negatives? If so, learning on 120 would be tough.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I wonder if people are being taught to retouch negatives? If so, learning on 120 would be tough.

that's what i was thinking ...
    but it seems kind of strange teaching
    people to retouch small negatives with pencil
    the enlargement factor is insane ...

even for someone with retouching experience
    blending and spotting and retouching on a 4x5 or larger negative
    and then enlarging ... is a big deal.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you just want to mark up a negative, you could probably use any old wax pencil.

For detailed retouching, consider making a paper internegative and retouching that on the back with ordinary pencil.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They used to use a very soft pencil for retouching negatives a 3B.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Were the markers made of spiral wrapped paper? They could be china markers or wax pencils.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuelg View Post
    ... unfortunatley i dont study photography and the lecturer is a bit terrifying so i thought i would as my noobish question here
    Go ask the prof. Really! Maybe he has a "forceful personality" but he is PAID to teach people about his discipline. If you are enrolled at the college, it is the teacher's duty to help you learn. It is not out of line for you to ask a simple question and, within limits, to get an answer.

Besides, how is he to know that you aren't interested in taking his course? By the sound of your question, it seems that you have some interest. This could be a good opportunity to introduce yourself, find out about the courses offered by the college and decide which ones to take.

Even if you are not an art student, there are bound to be open elective courses for students in other majors. If you are not enrolled at the college, this would be an opportunity for you to find out whether you do want to enroll. You probably don't even have to enroll full-time. There might be part-time or evening courses for you to take.

Even though I only work part-time at my local college, I have a key to the darkroom there because I occasionally volunteer to be the darkroom monitor when the prof. doesn't have time to be there himself. I clean and straighten equipment and supplies. I replace chemistry when it gets used up and I take out the trash. When the students have trouble, I offer them advice or go with them to the teacher's office to help them solve the problem. In return, I get free roam of the darkroom in the evenings or during mid-term vacations. One hand washes the other, doncha know!

Bottom line: Ask!
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin