Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,701   Posts: 1,482,648   Online: 700

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Dry Mount problem

Hi,
    I am using a t-shirt press to dry mount my FB paper onto a museum (archival) board.

What I do is that I put the photo with the tacked tissue onto the board, on top of that I put a piece of baking paper and a piece of paper on top of that. Than i close the press. 85C for 1.5 minutes.

When using matt adox paper, i get strange figures on the surface because the baking paper is getting structures in the paper due to the heat and these while pressing can be seen by the eye as a more shiny area.

Is there a better way?

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    use seal release that is what it is made for and you should't have a problem
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Seal / Bienfang release paper. I also use matboard (not paper) between the release paper and the press.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    How thick is your matboard?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What I found out until now is that baking paper can be used once. They say that there is a variant with silicone that can be used more than once...
    Baking paper costs 3 dollar for 10 meters... Bienfang 83 dollar for 18 meter. So it is worth to try since i can not get bienfang products here (shipping is 40 dollar).

Shooter
    Large Format
    What is referred to as parchment in the US cooking world (it is not parchment, it is paper with silicone) is what is most similar to the release paper. I have no idea how many times it can be reused.

Release paper can be used many times. 18 meters might be a lifetime supply for a hobbyist.

The mat board that I use between the platen and the artwork is the same as the board I am mounting to. Typically 2 ply. I use this board for a bunch of prints, until it is so marred that I toss it. I find the board helps distribute the pressure more evenly.

I heat the press before I put the art in, open it and arrange the "sandwich" inside then close it. Once it reaches temperature I give it about 2 minutes, turn off the heat and let it cool a bit in the press. I don't think you are doing anything wrong with this part of the operation, though.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Like degruyl I use mat board between the artwork and the platen. I promptly remove the mounted artwork from the press and let it cool under moderate weight. The mat board doesn't imboss particles into the artwork as much as release paper does in my dusty darkroom. It's easier than to do proper housekeeping.

Shooter
    Large Format
    For reference, I don't use release paper when I am not using dry mount tissue. I do use the press to flatten prints between two pieces of mat board.

If I were more careful about tissue placement, I would probably go without it when mounting as well, but I am not and the window mat covers the edge of the print.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Using a mat board is a good way to go i think. Just have to figure out the proper temperature increasement for the mat board heat consumption.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Don't. The mat board heats up, just let everything get to temperature before you turn off the press / take out the artwork.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin