Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,968   Posts: 1,558,471   Online: 1014

Shooter
    Multi Format

Medium format and flatbed scanner for stock sales.

I have been looking into doing stock photography for about a decade now and everybody says that I need a digital slr. I have posted a message about this on the Kracker Barrel at PhotoSource and they have shot down using a MF camera with a flat bed scanner for digital photos. The thing is that with my RB67 shots, and scanned on my good old Epson scanner at the highest resolution, look great. I can't afford a $1000 digital camera at this time, and was wondering if my scans from my MF camera will do. In the Photographers Market many magazines still take 35mm slides. I can see the day when I will have to go digital, but until then I would like to use the MF set up. I was wondering if anybody on here has sold any photos that were scanned on a flatbed from a MF negative? Another thing is that most photos in magazines are only about 5X7 and smaller. Some are smaller than the 4X6 photos you get back from the stores. What do you think? Thanks. Ric.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If you have a niche, you can do whatever you want. The example I was taught in a workshop was a photographer who only took pictures of poison oak. If you wanted pictures of poison oak there was only one person to go to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't sold any from a flatbed scanner, and gave up on those a long time ago. But I do sell images from time to time, and the RB67 is my main camera. I scan on an old imacon scanner that brings out resolution a dSLR can only dream of. I usually have to downscale the images.

A good photo is a good photo regardless of medium. Medium format has a look that is hard to emulate. You don't really need a niche IMHO, just have a clear idea of what you want to convey with your images and work as hard as possible to achieve it. Stay true to your ideas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You don't say whether you intend to scan negs or prints - I do both, and could comment (they both have advantages and disadvantages, but I'm afraid we are drifting out of scope for APUG.

Shooter
    Multi Format

It is out of the scope of APUG?

This is one problem I always have with APUG. If I ask about my RB67 and scanning, I get moved or told this is not where to ask that, but go to the digital board. If I go there and mention film, they will tell me to go to the film (APUG) board. I guess I got my answers now but just had to vent a little. Even if I go to a digital camera, I might wish to take some with film. From what I have read, you can fry a digital by shooting at the sun. I have done that with film with no problems. (Yes, you can go blind doing that if you do it wrong.) Anyway, thanks to all that replied. Ric.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yup, it can be annoying can't it? We just had a big long thread that got into this:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/...rint-scan.html

I'm not sure if it's worth reading

For sub $1k, I think an Epson V700 or V750 might be your best bet. If you can afford more, then there are some other options...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin