Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,535   Online: 862

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries

For me...small prints are the new big

I go to shows...everybody's prints....at least at the "big" shows, and even local ones....are 50"x 60" or 30"X40" ...etc.

I have all of these sheet film formats... 8X10, 5X7, 4X5... and Polaroids(Fuji-Roids). I think some nicely done contact prints are in order for a future show...so for me, small is the new big in gallery prints.

Anybody agree...disagree...discuss...
    ...and if anybody out there owns a gallery...DISCUSS!
    Last edited by Tom Nutter; 10-22-2011 at 08:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love 5x7 prints, sometimes I mat and display contact prints from the 4x5. Small is where it's at!
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I've printed MF negatives as carbon prints and as platinum/palladium -- and up to 11x14 negatives. The MF images are sweet! But best in some hand-holdable form, rather behind glass on a wall...but I've done it.
    Last edited by Vaughn; 10-22-2011 at 11:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My standard quality work is on 11x14 from 4x5 negs

When I just want to see a picture, I print smaller on postcard stock.

When I do that, I produce prints of lower quality.

For example, some of my gallery shots are scans from a postcard (they are reductions).

The postcard prints are straight prints with no manipulation because they are so small.

At least my 11x14 prints have burning and dodging, which I think (by definition) makes better prints.

So that's why my smaller prints are lower quality.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Gallery Owner

Hi Tom,

I do own a gallery called 3 Yellow Tulips and we sell both BW and Ilfochrome prints. We have found that for what ever reason nothing smaller than 11X14 seem to sell. The reason seems to always be the same. Our clients need larger prints to fill the space on the wall that they have in mind. People buying art can be on the strange side. We have sold expensive prints and paintings because they match the color of their new furniture. Go figure.

Good luck in all you do.

Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like 8x10 or 11x14. Just big enough so I can see them.

Jeff

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've only been doing 5X7 contact prints (pt/pd) for past 3 months; but they've become my favorite format & size. Not sure, though, how to frame them. Verticals I've been doing in 8X10 while horizontals 10X12 matting. With 8X10 contact prints, I mat them in 16X20.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think subject matter might have some input on print size too. A portrait or shot of a small object or an abstract view of some scene might work well as a relatively small print, especially if it's a fairly simple composition without lots of little details. Grand landscapes and some architectural subjects sometimes beg for a large presentation. A philosophical question perhaps of whether we want the viewer to look at the picture or to feel almost "inside" the picture.

All that said, I'm not currently equipped to go more than 11x14, so that's it for me. Of late I do mostly square format, printed on 11x11 paper (using the offcut for test strips!) and mat it to about 10 1/4 square. Optically centered and double matted in a vertical 16x20 frame it makes a nice presentation. Folks don't often reach for their wallets, but I attribute that to my bent toward industrial archeology as subjects!
    Last edited by DWThomas; 10-23-2011 at 10:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the capability to print all sizes up to 20x24, but lately smaller prints have been getting my attention. Bill Burk, who says that 5x7's don't get B&D'ed, I spend nearly as much time on them as an 11x14 or 8x10(except for spotting)and sometimes they are much harder to get just right. As DWThomas reports, they are perfect for the proper subject. I wouldn't even consider printing grand landscape on anything less than 8x10, more often 11x14. Architectural subjects can be printed to nearly any size, depending on the amount of detail you want portrayed. Some scenes beg to be printed small, the photo below was printed 8x8 and 5x5, it ceased being dramatic after that, I scrapped the 11x11. I have many examples of work that just plain look like crap at large sizes, but are extremely dynamic in smaller sizes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails waiting.jpg  
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i have a lab print big stuff for me sometimes ...
    but i rarely print anything bigger than 5x7 myself
    small prints in a 16x20 matt are always a treat to look at
    Last edited by jnanian; 10-23-2011 at 02:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    ask me how ..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin