Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,527   Online: 1056

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

I don't feel so bad now.......(Print Mounting)

I have been getting frustrated lately trying to mount some of my prints. It seems that I am having some trouble getting everything square.

I just received 3 original Fred Picker prints that I won on eBay today.

Out of the 3 one of them is trimmed/mounted a little crooked. It's still a nice print and not a big deal to me.

But it does make me feel a little better knowing that even Fred Picker wasn't perfect all the time

Jim
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Images
    You should see Weston's prints. The ones hanging at the Weston Gallery in Carmel have dry mount tissue showing on 2 or 3 sides of the prints and they are slightly off.
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    You should see Weston's prints. The ones hanging at the Weston Gallery in Carmel have dry mount tissue showing on 2 or 3 sides of the prints and they are slightly off.

Hmmmm... Very interesting.

I'm I being to picky? I just don't like sending out a print that's not close to being perfect. I have several mounted prints stacked up that are "just a little off" but can't bring myself to sending them out.

I'd be interested to hear other opinions on this.

Jim

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Jim,
    I always tack the tissue to the center of the print and then trim the print. After I cut the hole in the mat, I line up the print in the hole and use some shot bags to hold the print in place. I usually tack one corner of the print to the mounting board. Then the print and the mouning board go into the press. I sandwich the print and the mounting board between 2 clean mat boards and carefully close the press. I let the heater get to about 200f before I start the whole process.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    Jim,
    I always tack the tissue to the center of the print and then trim the print. After I cut the hole in the mat, I line up the print in the hole and use some shot bags to hold the print in place. I usually tack one corner of the print to the mounting board. Then the print and the mouning board go into the press. I sandwich the print and the mounting board between 2 clean mat boards and carefully close the press. I let the heater get to about 200f before I start the whole process.

lee\c
    Thanks for the info Lee!

That sounds like the way I do it, except for one big difference.....

I mount the print first, then I cut the matt.

I will give it a try the other way next time I mount some prints to see how they turn out. Sounds like it might be a little easier to get the print even that way.

Thanks again,

Jim

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Jim, it is never really perfect!

I start by tacking the tissue to the center of the print. Then I trim the print with tissue using a roller blade. Then I center the print on the board by eye with the window mat in place. Then I tack two corners from the center. Then I place in the heat press with two boards - one below and one above. That is all you need.
    Francesco

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I follow the same procedure Francesco described. The other little "trick" is cutting the overmat hole larger than the print. I use 1/4" on tops and sides, 7/16" on the bottom, 1/4" above center. This way, I can cut the overmats independent of the print unless the print gets trimmed to an odd size.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    start by tacking the tissue to the center of the print. Then I trim the print with tissue using a roller blade. Then I center the print on the board by eye with the window mat in place. Then I tack two corners from the center. Then I place in the heat press with two boards - one below and one above. That is all you need.

I follow the same procedure Francesco described. The other little "trick" is cutting the overmat hole larger than the print. I use 1/4" on tops and sides, 7/16" on the bottom, 1/4" above center. This way, I can cut the overmats independent of the print unless the print gets trimmed to an odd size.

we are all on the same page here.

lee\c

Images
    Just a question-Why don't you folks do the sticky corners? It is a hell of lot easier to get things straight.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Just a question-Why don't you folks do the sticky corners? It is a hell of lot easier to get things straight.
    Mark,

I have used them and will probably use them again.

I prefer dry mount though. It just looks more "finished" to me.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin