Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,552   Online: 1060

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I am still waiting for a real improvement on my old F3s (C. l970)

The Digital marketing ploy fails to mention the fact that digital cameras and other like instruments deterioate rapidly with age. If this fact were better known the commercial
    marketing firms for digital cameras would go into free fall!

My faith in film is not shaken.
    'Determine on some course more than a wild exposure to each chance' The Bard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan. L-B
    The Digital marketing ploy fails to mention the fact that digital cameras and other like instruments deterioate rapidly with age. If this fact were better known the commercial marketing firms for digital cameras would go into free fall!
    The cameras also have virtually no 2nd hand value.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan. L-B
    I am still waiting for a real improvement on my old F3s (C. l970)

The Digital marketing ploy fails to mention the fact that digital cameras and other like instruments deterioate rapidly with age. If this fact were better known the commercial
    marketing firms for digital cameras would go into free fall!

My faith in film is not shaken.
    From what I've seen on sites that allow digital images, the 'equipment used' section rarely has a digital more than a couple of years old. Since digitals were forever seeking to be 'photo quality' the users often buy newer models with increased storage/resolution. If you want to keep on the leading edge of this race you have to put out a considerable amount of money - which seems to be lost on those who use the argument that they don't have to pay for film and processing.
    Is there anything donuts can't do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandalay
    If you want to keep on the leading edge of this race you have to put out a considerable amount of money - which seems to be lost on those who use the argument that they don't have to pay for film and processing.
    Who says you have to be on the leading edge? My mother wanted a small camera that could make 5x7" prints (at the largest) and wanted to easily email them to the family. I suggested a 4 megapixel camera and she's been very happy shooting with it ever since: this was 2 years ago and the camera was a year old at the time she got it. She won't be upgrading any time soon. I think most of the people that keep having to buy the newest digital cameras are amateurs with too much money and not enough talent (i.e. they think that if they have a better camera then their pictures will be better). They read too much popular photography and luminous-landscape.com. I know of many newspaper photogs that still use the original Nikon D1 and D1H who say they won't upgrade until the shutter assembly dies.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although discussions of this topic probably have some positive cardio-vascular benefit, they usually seem to swirl around the same drain. Constrained to the brevity imposed by the style of Web communication, we usually seem to ignore, or gloss over, the fact that there are numerous complex market and technological dynamics at play, each of which affects reality in a slightly different manner.

The F6: I haven't studied its specs in detail, but it does seem to have several improvements over the F5, such as improved metering. Whether those are sufficient to motivate an F5 owner to "upgrade" (actually, to create another level of backup camera) is probably an individual choice. But, having that choice is probably a good thing. Personally, I'm sticking with my F5 (and F4s backup) for now.

Digi-frenzy: It seems to me that the ability to rapidly turn over camera models at the consumer and pro-sumer level has, in part, solved a revenue-stream problem for manufacturers selling into an already well-saturated market. Instead of getting to sell the person a new camera every 10, 15, or 20 years, they get to sell a new one every 12-18 months. Sometimes less. Duty cycles seem to have been substantially reduced with many of the pro-sumer models. Additionally, many of these cameras seem to suffer from the rush to market. Several cutting-edge Canon users I know have run into significant bugs that should have been resolved before the camera was released. I'd love to see Nikon or Canon come out with a high-end digital SLR that provided user-upgradeable sensors and user-replaceable feature modules. After all, it's just electronics and firmware. I'm not holding my breath, however.

At the professional level, I agree with Graeme - it's an uphill battle to get paid for post-production effort required by a digital workflow. With film, that work is done by a magazine's art department after scanning the film. If the magazine is successful in imposing a digital-or-nothing requirement, however, they succeed in shifting that expense to the photographer, who is often already working on thin, or non-existent margins. As a photographer, do I want to pay $9/hr to an E-6 lab tech, or $25-$35/hr for a Photoshop-wiz assistant? Hmmm. Let me think about that one.

That is not to say that digital workflow doesn't have its advantages in professional situations, of course. Quick turnaround in news situations, and immediate sign-off for catalog work are two good examples.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    I think most of the people that keep having to buy the newest digital cameras are amateurs with too much money and not enough talent (i.e. they think that if they have a better camera then their pictures will be better). They read too much popular photography and luminous-landscape.com.
    They're basically the same people who ran out and bought the newest film cameras when they came out. The type of cameras with many bells and whistles. The only difference is that now is that they are also chasing higher capacity, as well as metering etc. etc.
    Is there anything donuts can't do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Its either a very brave, very clever or very stupid move by Nikon.

IMHO its very clever, there will be a swing back to film in the not too distant future. Once everyone has a 5mp camera on their phone, people will look for something different. I read in a fashion magazine a review for a polaroid instant camera, the bottom line was to be original not follow the masses into digital. A camera store owner told me today that yesterday a kid traded in a 5mp Canon Powershot for a Contax 645 and he thinks the tide might turn yet.
    I mean flares and sideburns came back in fashion, film will too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    I think most of the people that keep having to buy the newest digital cameras are amateurs with too much money and not enough talent (i.e. they think that if they have a better camera then their pictures will be better). They read too much popular photography and luminous-landscape.com.
    Add Photography Monthly and you've just described most of the members of my local camera club. As a great example we already have 2 20D users and our resident pro still gets by with his D60.
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fintan
    I mean flares and sideburns came back in fashion, film will too.
    What do you mean 'came back into fashion'. They never went away baby yeeah.
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sparx
    What do you mean 'came back into fashion'. They never went away baby yeeah.
    Do post your pics, I need cheering up this dark monday morning back in the "day job"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin