Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,675   Online: 1170

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Score one for film.

Nikon just introduced the F6 film camera. If Nikon is willing to produce a film camera thats a pro model and cost 2299.00 encourages me to think that anolog photography is heathy and in good shape, dispite what all the digital add would like you to think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps the ' F 6 ' model was already on the drawing boards and they thought it best to continue into mamufacture, might be the LAST collectable Film SLR !!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BarrieB
    Perhaps the ' F 6 ' model was already on the drawing boards and they thought it best to continue into mamufacture, might be the LAST collectable Film SLR !!!!
    Ahhh phooee! It's much cheaper to cut it at the drawing board than after spending the sums required on R&D and product launch. Perhaps you're saying this with tongue-firmly-in-cheek Barrie, but if they really thought there was no market for the F6 alongside the range of prof digi cameras they are producing, they just wouldn't let it out of the stable (they wouldn't be able to afford to). And Nikon are not the only ones bringing out new models either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikon has also announced that the F6 will be the last of their proffessional series film cameras, only time will tell.

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Just a pity that there seems to be no improvement on the F5 in the latest model. I own an F5, but see absolutley no reason to change it for an F6.

Perhaps I'm missing something - can anybody tell me why they released this latest model?
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    About the only good thing about digital cameras is that used film cameras are so damned cheap now. I replaced my broken Olympus OM-1 with a perfectly good used one for about $40 US - and it came with a 50mm Zuiko. Repairs would've cost more than double the amount. Other than that the announcement of the very last prof film camera by Nikon is very, very depressing.
    Is there anything donuts can't do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I were a betting man, I'd bet that the reason the F6 was released has to do with the cost of producing the camera more than anything else. The F6 shares so many common parts with the newer high-end Nikon digital cameras (including the basic chasis and the metering system) that I believe it was released so it could be produced on the same assembly line as some other camera. Still, it's a nice camera and it is good to see a new film camera from Nikon at a time when most of us had to think such a thing was unlikely.

To the best of my knowledge Nikon have only announce that this is the last of the "F" series of cameras, not the last film camera. I'd be very surprised, though, to see any new film cameras from any of the big players anywhere other than the bottom end.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They told us at PMA this year, that the F6 would be the last Pro film camera, and they were still going to produce consumer series cameras for a while longer.

Dave Parker
    Ground Glass Specialties

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting Dave...thanks for the info. I wonder what they consider a "consumer series" camera. Would the FE2 or FM2N have been considered "consumer series" cameras? Nikon made some fantastic cameras over the years that weren't in the F series but that were a lot more than generic consumer cameras.

I'd be willing to bet that an unlikely resurgence in film would chane their minds over time. Given the way the world seems to be headed, it seems likely that the only new film cameras we'll see are those produced to bring down production costs, not to introduce any interesting features.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I wouldn't be so quick to give up on film cameras just yet.

Many pros who went digital are returning to film after they found out no-one wants to pay them for time spent proofing on the computer. Shooting film allows them to spend their own time doing what they do best - operate a camera and speak with their clients.

It'll never get back to the levels it was at 4 years ago, but film will still be used for many years yet. Don't give up on it.
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin