Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,886   Posts: 1,520,678   Online: 1129

Images

Color photos and mat color

The wife and I are having a disagreement. I prefer white mats around any photograph. She wants colored double mats. I personally think colored mats detract from the photograph.

I was wondering what you folks thought about coloered mats?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    The wife and I are having a disagreement. I prefer white mats around any photograph. She wants colored double mats. I personally think colored mats detract from the photograph.

I was wondering what you folks thought about coloered mats?
    Not sure if you mean both mats should be colored. I use a colored inner mat, the color choice depends upon the photograph, and a white outer mat. That way I only have a small sliver of color showing around the photograph.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Images
    Yep she wants both mats colored. Now why do you put colored mats in to begin with?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Yep she wants both mats colored. Now why do you put colored mats in to begin with?
    I like to use a colored mat on the inside to hightlight the photograph somewhat. For example, if I have a lot of sky in the picture, I may have a light blue inner mat. I also tend to mount in a wood frame, either cherry or koa (rare and very expensive). Note, my inner mat is very small, only about 1/4".

My suggestion, is to try it to see if you like it; there is one photographer locally that uses an off-color white with ragged edges and it looks quite nice. Not something you might have thought of; sometimes it helps to experiment a bit.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Images
    One of the reasons I don't do color or paint.

I'd say she is right. Color is tricky business. Look at how painters or museums mat their paintings. Go to a frame shop and talk to a framer. Color helps convey mood and emotion. So I suppose it depends on what you are trying to do and who your audience is. Remember that 12 to 20% of white males are 'color blind'. Also remember, if it didn't make a difference then businesses wouldn't pay color consultants millions of dollars to pick colors for hospitals and restaurants, etc. Everything makes a difference.

One reference is the book: The Elements of Color, by Johannes Itten

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin