Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,050   Posts: 1,561,153   Online: 794

Shooter
    Multi Format

Portfolio Recommendations

I usually carry some prints around with me when whenever I have my camera which is practically every day, to show friends I bump into, or people that I meet who are curious that I have taken their photo. I'm on the street a lot and do get asked a bunch of times about my camera and photos.

I like to carry a 8x10 or slightly larger in my bag. They get beat up pretty well. I have used thick cardstock backed versions, and now plastic versions because they are cheap and stain proof.

I need a recommendation on a nicer leather version, with good inserts. The problem with the cheaper versions like the itoya's are the plastic inserts get messed up so easily by just handling. It really affects the clarity, and makes it tough to view the print. I have also used a nice version by Prat, but again the corners got destroyed.

Something preferably with a good spine that can open flat too. And of course at reasonable cost, I would like to use it for a year atleast before I have to replace it.

Thanks, also what are everyone else's favorite presentation portfolio? And why?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hi newt on swings

i have a few different portfolios.
    the least expensive one is made by pratt.
    it zips closed and has a binder type ring system
    so you can get replacement pages when the ones in it
    get kind of grungy. it is the rolls royce of mass produced portfolios.
    i also have a few hand made ones made by portfoliobox (.com)
    leather bound hand made to your specifications. if you want, they
    can make a slip cover / box for it. i have 2 11x14 ones, one landscape one portrait,
    and 2 8x10s the same way ( L+P ) ... if you want one that is handmade portfoliobox is the way to go
    they are great folks to work with, and have been around making custom boxes, and cases, and books
    for probably 25-30 years. i live in RI and have been lucky enough to meet them ... and can't say enough good things about them ..

good luck !
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks John, I looked at portfolio box, they have some great boxes, I bookmarked them for future purchases. I didnt see that many examples of portfolios on it though, and their folded sides style that they did have, looked a bit to cumbersome for general flip out use and handling.

I will take your suggestion and take another look at some more Prat 8x10 models. I have a nice large model that fits 11x14s easily, and it is well made out of leather with a zipper and good carrying handle.

thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "House of Portfolios" books are sort of the industry standard for photogs and all other people in the biz who need books in NYC. They're extremely well made, very reasonable for the quality, and work well - a nice, no gimmick solution that can be messangered around day in and day out for years and still look good. They're totally custom and will make anything to order to fit your needs, including cases boxes etc etc etc. Just ask them.

The heavier up front price, for me, was totally worth it, especially for books that really gets used.

Edit, oh, I just read you already have a leather 11x14" book w/ case...so maybe I'm suggesting something you already have. Still I bet House of Portfolios could make a really slim 8x10 if you talked to them.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin