Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,479   Online: 1081

Shooter
    4x5 Format

BTZS ExpoDev for iOS enters beta testing

I'm happy to announce a bit of good news today, that BTZS ExpoDev for iOS (for iPhone and iPod Touch devices) has been released to beta testing.

This is a completely new and redesigned version of ExpoDev that has many new features including managing lists of lenses and filters for quicker field data entry along with a more fully featured and flexible Depth of Field calculator. It uses the same system of exposure calculation as previous versions of ExpoDev, relying on the same personal film test data files (as analyzed and generated by Plotter). Importing film test data is now easier than ever and can be done directly on your iPhone/iPod or via iTunes on either Windows or Mac.

I've written a few blog posts on the progress so far that shows some early screen previews as well as covering some of the new features. I'll be continuing these short articles as testing progresses. You can find that information here on my blog: http://blog.mutable.net

There's also a new discussion forum over at http://BTZS.org specifically for ExpoDev for iOS discussions. I encourage you to join the conversation.

In the meantime I'll try and answer any questions here as well as they pop up. You can also PM me if you have something specific that you want to discuss.

I am hopeful that the field testing will go smoothly and that ExpoDev for iOS will be available in the Apple App Store soon.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I will get interested when it comes out for Android. Glad to see some advancement though!
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Expo/Dev is truly a remarkable tool to have in the field. I would encourage others using film to give Expo/Dev a try.

Laura (who really prefers her iPod touch over the Palm) Campbell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another plug for an Android app here!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've searched the AppStore from my phone for ExpoDev and get "no results". Have you made it available in locations other than the USA?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    No luck here in the US, I think it is still in beta and not in the app store yet.....

OP what's the status?
    Andy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Getting ready for round 2 of the beta in the next week or so. I'm hopeful that we'll get a first release to the App store by March.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Expo/dev for iOS is well worth the wait for anyone interested in this app.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    How does one get in on the beta testing?
    Andy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I will be accepting other qualified beta testers shortly. If you are interested in being a beta tester and have either an iPhone or an iPod Touch running iOS version 4.3 or later, please PM me with the answers to these 6 questions:

1. How often would you use ExpoDev for iOS to make actual exposures? We really need to find people who don't go for too long of a stretch between shooting as it slows down the whole process of testing. I'm looking for people who can make real exposures using the app as that is far more useful for testing and more likely to turn up issues with the overall workflow. Can you expend a few hours a week or is it more likely a few hours a month?

2. Do you ever sync your iOS device with iTunes (Mac or PC) or do you use it as a stand-alone device?

3. How would you describe your overall tech level? If I asked you to do something along the lines of this, copying files to/from a device using iTunes (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4094) would that be something you think you could follow?

4. Is your iOS device set up to access your email account? (Beta access requires email access to get the testing process set up on test devices)

5. What model & generation of iOS device do you have? Send me as many details as you have on model, generation, configuration, etc...

6. And most important, have you ever done any film testing with Plotter for Windows (or had it done via the View Camera Store's testing service)? ExpoDev for iOS does require personal film test data as produced by Plotter for Windows (ExpoDev Film Export or .xdr files). There is no built-in film test data so you will have to import your personal data before ExpoDev can be used.

Thanks,
    David

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin