Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,392   Online: 696

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice pics from India, I have a plan to fly on first week of FEB mostly to South-India.

Photography is still a hobby for me, so I prefer to print rather scanning it.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How you meter it will depend on what you want your interpretation of the image to look like in the end and the scene. If it's low-key lighting at night and you want to print with texture in the whites still, expose off the brightest spot and increase the exposure 2 stops -you probably don't want to meter off a light source, but something that you want to be bright white, but still with texture. Bracket above and below the exposure (1-2 stops) when you find a composition you're intrigued with. One of the 3 will come out printable. You just need to make sure the film is developed properly and that should work for you. If it's a scene with a balance of lights, a spot meter of 5-15 degrees that reads 18% grey on the scene should give you a decent approximation of where to start bracketing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now I understand little bit how spot-meters are so helpful to dramatise the exposure. Sure incident meters and exposure calculators can give best approximation but it may not be the exposure you want.

Indeed, it requires an enormous training and an artistic eye to use spot meter. May be I will start saving for (incident/spot combo).
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Light meter ... phooey!

I have used this for decades [with earlier versions] with great results:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/2604955/jiffy

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    Do I need to have a permission to use this exposure calculator?
    I found the first version in a 1963 copy on Modern Photography magazine. Since then I has seen several variants, some by the original author, some not but all free. There are some that are plastic and are for sale on the internet.

Short answer: I do not think so.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin