Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,165   Online: 1017

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Gossen Luna Pro digital and Sekonic 308s: any experiences?

I'm interested in these light meter but I'm unsure on the ergonomics. I'm more interested in the Gossen, actually. It looks cleaner and has aperture priority in comparison to the Sekonic L308.

I have the Sekonic L208, Gossen Luna Pro F, and Gossen Digisix. I don't like the Gossen Digisix but I'm "content" with the Sekonic L208 and Gossen Luna Pro F; however, none of them make me happy. The Gossen Digisix handles horribly, the Sekonic L208 is not sensitive enough, and the Gossen Luna Pro F is too bulky. I want something compact(ish) and accurate.

I'm thinking of moving on with the Gossen Luna Pro digital or the Sekonic L308s. For those who've used these meters, how are the ergonomics and build quality? The Gossen sounds perfect, but I read that they aren't built as well as the Sekonics...
    Last edited by msbarnes; 03-05-2012 at 10:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi msbarnes,
    After checking many light meters I settled on the Sekonic L-358. Other than not having a spotmeter this is a wonderful meter. For me its size is okay, has many usable features.

Cordially,
    RicD

Shooter
    35mm
    I've owned and used all the meters you mention but the L308.
    The most practical, I think, is the Luna Pro Digital (or Sixtomat Digital in Europe). Compact, lightweight, extremely flat form factor, about the size of an audio cassette tape, uses a single AA battery, very sensitive (EV -2.5@EI100).
    However practical, sleek and elegant it is, my real favorite is the Luna Pro SBC, but is so huge that I never carry it "on the road".
    Marcelo

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the Gossen Digipro F (an updated version of the Sixomat Digital) and it's light, pocktable is very accurate, has a nice narrow 30 degree acceptance angle, you can easily asses image contrast with it, it runs on a single AA battery you can get anywhere. I also have a Lunapro SBC that I've retired because IMO the Digipro is a better meter, I'm not into digital cameras but digital light meters are magic.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RicD View Post
    Hi msbarnes,
    After checking many light meters I settled on the Sekonic L-358. Other than not having a spotmeter this is a wonderful meter. For me its size is okay, has many usable features.

Cordially,
    RicD
    There are three spot meter attachments available for the Sekonic L-358 at extra cost a 1, 5, and 10 degree accessory finders.
    Ben

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    There are three spot meter attachments available for the Sekonic L-358 at extra cost a 1, 5, and 10 degree accessory finders.
    It's often cheaper now to get a used 508 with its zoom spot rather than futz with the pricey spot finders for the 358.

Love the Sekonic 308--hits a sweet spot for ergonomics, LCD legibility, size/weight, AA battery, accuracy, durability, value. Have a 558 but use the 308 whenever I want to lug around minimal kit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    It's often cheaper now to get a used 508 with its zoom spot rather than futz with the pricey spot finders for the 358.

Love the Sekonic 308--hits a sweet spot for ergonomics, LCD legibility, size/weight, AA battery, accuracy, durability, value. Have a 558 but use the 308 whenever I want to lug around minimal kit.
    All my cameras were bought second hand and most of my lenses, but I have never bought used meter it's too important, and a new Sekonic L-358 with the additional the 1degree spot finder is cheaper than the current model with it built in, the Sekonic L-758.
    Ben

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    All my cameras were bought second hand and most of my lenses, but I have never bought used meter it's too important, and a new Sekonic L-358 with the additional the 1degree spot finder is cheaper than the current model with it built in, the Sekonic L-758.
    The first and only meter I bought new was a Sekonic L398M that's shelfbound and seldom used. Bought both my 308 and 558 used--no worries. When shopping, I found used meters tended to fall into two piles: beat-up and barely used. The latter usually were amateur-owned and often way more meter than necessary or just not figured out/used much. Sekonic 508s are pretty cheap now and 558s a bit more. The 758 is really overkill for a film shooter.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin