Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,919   Posts: 1,584,780   Online: 973

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: f/3.5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    For negs I usually treat 3.5 as 4, so as to err on the side of slight overexposure. For slide, I treat 3.5 as 2.8, so as to err on the side of slight underexposure. You can of course also change the EI just a bit to compensate, as needed.

Don't sweat the petty details, and don't pet the sweaty details.
    Got a present for you now

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4172132101_8e72e251ed_z.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	47823

Taken somewhere in London
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keith's vacation dig, obviously.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Haha. Only the very finest accommodations for me.

What is that, provia in non-5000 K light, Eric?
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
    My Weston has 3.5 on the dial; maybe they courted Rolleiflex users.
    I have a Graflex 22 -- a TLR with a Graftar 85mm/f3.5 taking lens. Made after Graflex bought out Ciroflex, I believe. So its f/stops go f3.5, 4, 5.6, etc...while an old Rolleiflex of mine goes straight from 3.5 to 5.6. No f4 marked.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I like to use the one-third stop scale. I also often don't bother with the numbers, but just think of intermediate stops as "+" or "-" one-third of a stop from one of the whole-stops (e.g., f/5.6 +1/3).

Question: do you really shoot at f/3.5? If so, then just think of it as f/4 + 1/3-stop (remember, smaller f-numbers = more exposure) Most meters are laid out in one-third stop increments so this should line right up with a mark on the meter somewhere. (Shutter speeds are not so easy though... if you're shooting wide open at f/3.5 then you'll have to pick a shutter speed that can be up to 2/3-stop off. You get to decide whether to over-or underexpose).

@keith: I think you've got your exposure backwards -- f/4 is 1/3 stop underexposure from f/3.5 and f/2.8 is 2/3-stop over (assuming that f/3.5 is the "correct" stop).

Best

Doremus

www.DoremusScudder.com

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    And then there are manufacturers which call the half stop between f/4 and f/2.8 simply f/3.5.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ath View Post
    And then there are manufacturers which call the half stop between f/4 and f/2.8 simply f/3.5.
    you make it so simple

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For negs I usually treat 3.5 as 4, so as to err on the side of slight overexposure. For slide, I treat 3.5 as 2.8, so as to err on the side of slight underexposure. You can of course also change the EI just a bit to compensate, as needed.

Don't sweat the petty details, and don't pet the sweaty details.
    But then you're overexposing neg film by 1/3 stop, which you will never notice, and underexposing slide film by 2/3s stop, which you WILL notice.

For neg film I too pretty much just treat it as f/4. If I'm shooting slide film hand held, I'm doing it in 35mm and have TTL metering anyway. If I'm shooting slide film in medium format I am probably working off a tripod or in decent light and won't be shooting my one medium format 3.5 lens (on my Yashicamat) wide open anyway. And in 4x5 I don't have any lenses that fast anyway. So for practical purposes it's a non-issue.

Even slide film can generally handle 1/3 stop overexposure though it will change the look, but if you treat it as half way between 2.8 and 4 you will be only 1/6th stop off and even in slide film you won't notice that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Haha. Only the very finest accommodations for me.

What is that, provia in non-5000 K light, Eric?
    E200 pushed 1 stop, shot in twilight with a Nikon F and a 50 f1.4 pre ai
    Last edited by EASmithV; 03-18-2012 at 02:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    It's just a aperture, between f2.8 and f4
    Last edited by John Austin; 03-18-2012 at 03:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin